Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is this overboard??? IPA hop schedule.  (Read 4213 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Is this overboard??? IPA hop schedule.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 03:04:42 pm »
Batch size is being assumed... I assume

Offline CranjisMcBasketball

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 07:13:36 pm »
Batch size is being assumed... I assume
2.5 boil. 5 gallon final

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 08:00:24 pm »
Ok, so it won't be as bitter as folks were assuming because your boil gravity will be quite high.

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 05:37:48 am »
Ok, so it won't be as bitter as folks were assuming because your boil gravity will be quite high.

Yeah. Using the brewersfriend IBU calculator I end up somewhere around 60-65 with a boil gravity of 1.106. I’m just back to home brewing after almost twelve years and I wasn’t that advanced before.  However, now that I have patience and am older wth children, I am taking the time to really understand concepts. Lol.

But this is still one area that I’m having a hard time grasping. So my target OG was 1.053. With this boil gravity, will it ruin my final product (granted everything is done properly)?  Will it result in wonky ABV?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:22 am »
Nope, not ruined.

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 10:40:18 pm »
My 2 cents is that I used Lemon Drop once and figured it'd give a noticeable lemon flavor but did not, was rather earthy and grassy so I was disappointed. 

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 07:42:53 am »
My 2 cents is that I used Lemon Drop once and figured it'd give a noticeable lemon flavor but did not, was rather earthy and grassy so I was disappointed.

I do enjoy the earthy notes, but I’m really hoping for a bit of citrus. I’m including some dried tangerine peel to the dryhop as well with the hopes of some additional orangey notes. But who knows. I won’t be disappointed if it’s earthy. I dug even deeper into my fridge and found another pack of hops too, so the dryhop is now going to be:

2 oz. Lemondrop
1 oz. El Dorado
1 oz. Soirachi Ace
1 oz. Dried Tangerine Peel

My real question now is how long to dryhop for. I’ve settled on 5 day then bottling, but I’d be open to any suggestions you might have.

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 11:26:52 pm »
My 2 cents is that I used Lemon Drop in the recent past with the hopes of serious lemon flavor but did not get it as someone previously mentioned.  It ended up having a more earthy taste than expected and no citrus flavors.  I don't have experience with El Dorado or Soirachi Ace but do know that they give some good citrus and floral flavors so wouldn't be disappointed using them with dry hops like your recipe.  I have yet to use tangerine peel in dry hop so that could add some good, missing hop flavors as well.
As far as the time for dry hopping, I've done some research and it seems to be best at 2-7 days, no longer.  I've always done 7 days and have been happy with the aroma.
I'm curious to hear your results.

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 09:09:36 pm »
My 2 cents is that I used Lemon Drop in the recent past with the hopes of serious lemon flavor but did not get it as someone previously mentioned.  It ended up having a more earthy taste than expected and no citrus flavors.  I don't have experience with El Dorado or Soirachi Ace but do know that they give some good citrus and floral flavors so wouldn't be disappointed using them with dry hops like your recipe.  I have yet to use tangerine peel in dry hop so that could add some good, missing hop flavors as well.
As far as the time for dry hopping, I've done some research and it seems to be best at 2-7 days, no longer.  I've always done 7 days and have been happy with the aroma.
I'm curious to hear your results.

Just bottled today. Aroma is phenomenal. Has a strange flavor (very peppery) that will probably mature during conditioning. Will be trying again in two weeks, so i’ll give an updated report then.

Offline clef051

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 04:58:29 am »
That has a bunch of bitting hops. I’m away from my software, but I would just use the Apollo at 60, move the Chinook to 0 or dry.
I was thinking the same thing