Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blonde ale with rye?  (Read 1997 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Blonde ale with rye?
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:26:25 pm »
Anyone brew anything like this and how did it turn out?  What % of rye?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Blonde ale with rye?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 05:47:07 am »
Yes.  I used 40% rye malt.  Full of bready malt flavor, and big spiciness from the hops (from homegrown Hallertau hops).  The honey flavor was obvious without being enormous.  This beer took Bronze at Happy Holidays Homebrew Comp in St. Louis in 2008.  At the time, it was the best beer I ever made.  Now it's still in the top 15 I have made.  Note: Recipe is for 3 gallons. Scale up if required.

Note: Not sure what's going on with the extract as the first ingredient.  I probably missed my OG goal or something.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:49:55 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:43:22 pm »
 The blonde ale I usually make, I use about 8.6% carapils.   If I had rye to the recipe, should I drop the Carapils?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:25:16 am »
Drop the Carapils either way.  It is a worthless ingredient no different from base malt.

For just one example, reference: http://scottjanish.com/dextrins-and-mouthfeel/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:32:55 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:22:11 pm »
Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 02:31:11 pm »
Drop the Carapils either way.  It is a worthless ingredient no different from base malt.

says you....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 02:48:05 pm »

says you....;)

Don't mess with me, man, I've got friends in high places.   :o  Just kidding.  I don't actually have any friends.  ;D
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 03:03:56 pm »

says you....;)

Don't mess with me, man, I've got friends in high places.   :o  Just kidding.  I don't actually have any friends.  ;D

:P

And seriously, I _think_ I can detect carapils in a beer without a lot of other malts.  But I won't swear to that until I test it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 03:06:51 pm »

says you....;)
I don't want to dig a rabbit hole, but this is one of those really weird things. For at least 120 years (Wahl-Henius, Thausing...) researchers have been decrying and debunking the myth of dextrins contributing to foam and mouthfeel, arguing the contrary.   The science is solid, it seems.  But experience is clearly divided.  DeClerck explains that dextrins in fact kill foam and mouthfeel, and yet elsewhere says basically, carapils seems to help foam and mouthfeel and even stability, but we can't possibly explain why.  I _personally_ find carapils is detrimental to foam and mouthfeel. So do many others like Dave.  And then there's the other half of brewers who swear by the stuff. This is really one of those things you have to decide for yourself.  I can tell you what I _would_ do, but I won't tell you what you _have_ to do. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 08:12:35 pm »
I don’t think that Scott Janish reaches unalterable conclusions.  For one, the proprietary process being unknown, it isn’t a certainty what exactly is happening.  It probably is reasonable to conclude what is being said, but it hasn’t been conclusively shown to be the case.  Like Denny said, maybe you can reasonably distinguish grists with and without dextrin malts at various mash temperatures....it certainly is thought by some to be the case.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"