Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Last Ditch Effort  (Read 3106 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Last Ditch Effort
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 04:38:26 pm »
So you don't like Fuggles in your beer, you just like beer with Fuggles in it. Curiouser and curiouser.
Makes you wonder how timothy taylor uses it, and if it fades before it gets to my fridge.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 04:50:45 pm »
So you don't like Fuggles in your beer, you just like beer with Fuggles in it. Curiouser and curiouser.
Makes you wonder how timothy taylor uses it, and if it fades before it gets to my fridge.
Might be onto something.  If you have some left of a Fuggle batch you don't like, beergun a couple and leave them on a shelf for six months!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »
Might be onto something.  If you have some left of a Fuggle batch you don't like, beergun a couple and leave them on a shelf for six months!
Ha!

Or to get that imported "IT" just put the keg in back of the pickup for a month.

Offline BrewBama

Last Ditch Effort
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 05:03:19 pm »
I’ve been in English Pubs and I dunno...ther’s just something different there vs the version here. Probably oxidation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:52:41 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 06:20:07 pm »
Jim,
 I have had Timothy Taylor's Landlord fresh in Yorkshire and it was so good that I immediately decided to try to reproduce it at home. After a couple of years and several batches I have an "Americanized" version of it that I like a lot. I stuck with the Goldings and Fuggles, but the OG and ABV are more typical of Yanks and less typical of Brits (i.e 5-6%). I also like more foam on top than is typical for British ales.  I have found that Wy1469 is a slow finisher --- it keeps going for days on end, albeit slowly after the first few. Your recipe looks pretty good overall. I have also increased my ferment temp from 65 to 68 to get a bit more stone fruit character to complement the maltiness.

Everything in Landlord is British except the Styrian Goldings. Styria is a region that is now split between Austria and Slovenia. I have been there also, and seen hops being grown commercially on a large scale, which really warmed my heart. I can't claim to be able to taste the difference between East Kent Goldings and Styrian Goldings, but they bring different images into my head when I think about them and drink beer made with them, and that counts for something.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 06:35:53 pm »
Awesome. Well I weight out my hops for these 2 beers, so it's locked in now.

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 06:42:03 pm »
Richard, Styrian Golding has a good story.  In the 1930s a blight wiped out the Saaz-type hops then grown in Slovenia.  Looking for new, resistant stock, they imported cuttings of Fuggles from England and they immediately were succesful.  But the Slovenes couldn't (so the story goes) pronounce Fuggles.  So they called them Goldings.  Maybe there was just real confusion over what cuttings were shipped, but the story has become legend. And the hops were Fugglish enough the Brits became prime customers.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 07:06:50 pm »
Awesome. Well I weight out my hops for these 2 beers, so it's locked in now.
Good luck!  Really hope you get "it."
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 07:56:29 pm »
This is a revelation to me because I am drinking a TTL right now and was thinking of it, and previously thought of it as an example of EKG. It has the black tea thing. Does Styrian Golding have the black tea thing?
Either way I love it.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.