Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: low temps  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
low temps
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:22:22 pm »
My cooler got the ale down to 40f, 1st day into ferement.  Took it out to warm it up, but could dump in another packet of Safale 05.

It's only been 24 hrs.

Let me reframe the question. Should I dump in more yeast after raising the temp or just let it go and hope for the best?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:16:33 pm by Pope of Dope »
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: low temps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:23:27 pm »
Just bringing the temp up won't likely be enough. You will need to rouse the yeast up from the bottom if the temp was that low for any sustained period. It still may take a day or 2 to get anything going though. You may be better off just adding more yeast via re-hydrating after getting back up to temp
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 06:47:01 pm »
Thanks for the response 69.

I accept that I may always be the veteran nubie at this.  It helps to get reassurance for what to do.  I opened the ferementer after the temp read 68 and dumped in another packet of -05. It's now bubbling vigorously.  I also finally got an inkbird temp controller for my old touchy refrigerator. It was reading 66 on low with the freezer off so I though it would be fine, then it went down to 38.  Anyways, smells really good and fermenting.  Hopefully no infection from the couple days of cold temps and then the opening of the tank.  The inkbird is really cool, I mean it prevents if from getting too cool, but at the same time is cool, which in and of itself is cool. Should have gotten one a long time ago. 

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:32:01 pm »
Thanks for the response 69.

I accept that I may always be the veteran nubie at this.  It helps to get reassurance for what to do.  I opened the ferementer after the temp read 68 and dumped in another packet of -05. It's now bubbling vigorously.  I also finally got an inkbird temp controller for my old touchy refrigerator. It was reading 66 on low with the freezer off so I though it would be fine, then it went down to 38.  Anyways, smells really good and fermenting.  Hopefully no infection from the couple days of cold temps and then the opening of the tank.  The inkbird is really cool, I mean it prevents if from getting too cool, but at the same time is cool, which in and of itself is cool. Should have gotten one a long time ago.
Sounds great. Still a newbie here after almost 5 years. Not brewing often enough to keep everything fresh in my head

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:31:36 pm »
Nothing stays fresh in my head.  It's old age and a healthy drug regimen I think.