Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1-Gallon Batch IPA Fermentation Schedule  (Read 2898 times)

Offline joeyha

• 1st Kit
1-Gallon Batch IPA Fermentation Schedule
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:25:47 am »
Hello all!

After working in bars, doing some repping for some amazing breweries and being an overall lover of craft beer I have started the hobby of home brewing.

I recently completed my first ever batch of beer, an all-grain 1 gallon Citra IPA (not racking to secondary).   My question for all of you in in regards to my fermentation / dry-hopping schedule.   
This is what I have mapped out after doing copious amounts of reading:

March 5 (DAY 0) - Brew Day - Yeast Pitched (US-05)
March 20 (DAY 15) - Add hops to primary for dry-hopping
March 25 (DAY 20) - Put in fridge to cold crash for approx. 24 hours
March 26 (3 WEEKS) - Bottling Day
April 9 (5 WEEKS) - Drinking Day!!!

Does this look good to all of you? 

Cheers!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:35:06 am by joeyha »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 1-Gallon Batch IPA Fermentation Schedule
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:31:34 am »
Hello all!

After working in bars, doing some repping for some amazing breweries and being an overall lover of craft beer I have started the hobby of home brewing.

I recently completed my first ever batch of beer, an all-grain 1 gallon Citra IPA (not racking to secondary).   My question for all of you in in regards to my fermentation / dry-hopping schedule.   

Cheers!
Looks okay to me.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 12:24:02 pm »
Cheers

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 03:17:56 pm »
Welcome aboard the forum and the hobby.  Have fun and enjoy your beer!

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 03:22:42 pm »
Welcome aboard the forum and the hobby.  Have fun and enjoy your beer!

Cheers.
And let us know how it turns out!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 04:32:26 pm »
Hello all!

Cheers!

I would guess that your schedule is way too extended for that small amount.  But the beer makes the schedule, not the calendar.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 05:20:32 pm »
At first when I saw the three weeks I thought it was in the fridge for 3 weeks... now I see that's a one day difference between day 20 and 21.

I used to do 2 week primary, 2 week secondary, 1 week dry hop (second week of secondary) and then bottle.  I stopped doing a secondary transfer, shortened to a three week primary, dry hop the third week and then bottle.  Basically the exact same as you've got laid out, so that's what works for me.

Hope it turns out, sounds like you're on the right track! Welcome!
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 05:33:23 pm »
As long as your arbitrary schedule is long enough that the beer is done, you're probably fine. Under normal conditions, Denny is probably right. It should be done way before that. We are assuming you will be measuring gravity to ensure it's done. Especially important, for safety reasons, when bottle conditioning.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 08:25:39 pm »
With a one gallon batch, I assume you pitched a goodly amount of yeast.  If so, your beer will be done well in advance of your proposed schedule.  Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 09:22:35 pm »
The cold  crash time seems a  bit short to me. It depends on what you are trying to achieve with the cold crash. That will settle out the yeast, but not necessarily the chill haze.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline joeyha

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 09:42:04 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.

With a one gallon batch, I assume you pitched a goodly amount of yeast.  If so, your beer will be done well in advance of your proposed schedule.  Cheers.

I used half a pack of US-05.  Did not rehydrate.  Aerated by shaking carboy for a few mins.

As long as your arbitrary schedule is long enough that the beer is done, you're probably fine. Under normal conditions, Denny is probably right. It should be done way before that. We are assuming you will be measuring gravity to ensure it's done. Especially important, for safety reasons, when bottle conditioning.

I was planning on taking my final gravity reading when I open the carboy to dry hop.  When you say the beer should be done WAY before that, do you reckon I could leave it in the primary for two weeks and bottle condition for two weeks and that would be ample time?

I didn't really think about it before but, since I'm making a smaller batch, does everything happen quicker?   Everything being the fermentation time, clean-up time and conditioning.

The cold  crash time seems a  bit short to me. It depends on what you are trying to achieve with the cold crash. That will settle out the yeast, but not necessarily the chill haze.

I'm more interested in getting yeast and hop matter in suspension to settle, not looking for a crystal clear beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 10:09:32 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.

I used half a pack of US-05.  Did not rehydrate.  Aerated by shaking carboy for a few mins.

I was planning on taking my final gravity reading when I open the carboy to dry hop.  When you say the beer should be done WAY before that, do you reckon I could leave it in the primary for two weeks and bottle condition for two weeks and that would be ample time?

I didn't really think about it before but, since I'm making a smaller batch, does everything happen quicker?   Everything being the fermentation time, clean-up time and conditioning.

I'm more interested in getting yeast and hop matter in suspension to settle, not looking for a crystal clear beer.
So, a lot of people say that when the beer hits terminal gravity (two gravity checks that are the same, and a few days apart) then all of the fermentation related clean up is done. That leaves dropping clear, dry hopping, and conditioning/carbonation.

It's possible, maybe even probable that with a smaller batch it might finish quicker. But large commercial batches finish just as quick as 5 gallon batches, so... dunno if it's totally size related.

I say pencil in your schedule for planning purposes. But be flexible and let the beer drive the real schedule.

FYI, I just had a 6 gallon batch of 10% abv imperial stout, fermented at the low end of suggested temp, it hit terminal gravity in 9 days. 2nd gravity reading was at day 9, so actually it was done when I took that 1st reading (day 6) I had penciled in 21 days. When the batch sitting next to it reaches terminal gravity, I will be cold crashing both of them. They will be in the keg and carbonated before my pencil schedule thought they would finish fermentation.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:17:27 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 07:05:51 am »
Where did we get the idea that fermentation speed relates to pitch size?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline joeyha

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 10:14:49 am »
Where did we get the idea that fermentation speed relates to pitch size?

Right here.

I would guess that your schedule is way too extended for that small amount.  But the beer makes the schedule, not the calendar.

I assume he is referring to the batch size..