Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smooth Bitterness in an IPA  (Read 4104 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Smooth Bitterness in an IPA
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 09:41:34 am »
If you want to avoid the "vegetation" from hops, try cryo hops.  All lupulin, no vegetation.
I need to try dry-hopping with Cryo hops. I still got quite a bit of harsh tannin when I used them in the whirlpool (granted, it was in very large amounts - nearly 2 oz/gallon of Cryo hops).

That wod be roughly equivalent to 4 oz./gal. of pellets.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:27 am »
I've found that whirlpool hops leave a smoother bitterness, regardless of the total ibu level. Try skipping all your boil additions and just have a large whirlpool addition held hot for ~60 minutes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
My next brew day is IPAs. I just might try that. Normally I do 30g if chinook at 60, then all the fun in whirlpool, but I might just throw it all in at 160 for 30. What the heck!?! Right?

Nothing you've suggested has not worked out. Still marveling at the 160F/148F double mash trick.
At 160F, you might not get enough bitterness for an IPA when doing the no-boil addition thing. I usually kill the heat and wait just until the boil activity has subsided. I'm brewing 2.5 gallon batches, so I end up around 180F after a 60-minute hop stand/whirlpool. that's my butter zone where I get enough bitterness to stand up to the hops, but still minimize harshness.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:09 am »
If you want to avoid the "vegetation" from hops, try cryo hops.  All lupulin, no vegetation.
I need to try dry-hopping with Cryo hops. I still got quite a bit of harsh tannin when I used them in the whirlpool (granted, it was in very large amounts - nearly 2 oz/gallon of Cryo hops).

Yep. And that's generally what my IPA's are hopped to.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:06 am »

Yep. And that's generally what my IPA's are hopped to.

Whoa....that's 8 times what I use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 11:17:00 am »
For IPAs, I've gone to 3 hop additions. 1) FWH for bittering charge, 2) whirlpool/flameout, and 3) keg hop. For my tastes, that's the sweet spot. I'm also fairly obsessed with my water chemistry.