Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
Re: Water
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 05:00:26 pm »
If I add acid then my bicarbonate numbers go to -8, which then doesn't match the profile indicating I need a bicarbonate number of 35ppm. And, if you say the bicarbonate number doesn't matter, can I add the acid in the strike (BIAB) method no sparge.
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 05:15:00 pm »
Yeah, bicarbonate isn't doing anything for flavor like other minerals do. It's just something to overcome (or in some cases add) to get the pH right, so you can pretty much ignore it in the profile as long as the pH is right. You can just add the acid, and all the minerals, to the strike water, and you're done. 

(If you were sparging Bru'n Water would have you split the minerals.  If you set the mash volume for your no sparge total and sparge volume to zero, all the amounts will be right in the mash adjustment.)

EDIT  Wait, you said you're starting with distilled water?  Just don't add any bicarbonate.  Then see if you need acid.  You can get sodium, if you want it for flavor in the profile, from canning salt.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:23:01 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 06:18:57 pm »
Great news!  One last thing, the HB shop doesn't have mag. chloride.  Any suggestions?

Actually, never mind.  Going to skip it and replace with others.  Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:27:45 pm by Pope of Dope »
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 06:32:49 pm »
Never used it but I think you can get it at pharmacies.  You don't have to use every salt listed; just play around till the ions are right.  I get Mg from Epsom and Cl from CaCl2 and canning salt.  You probably don't want much Mg, so unless you want no sulfate at all, Epsom salt should do there. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 06:35:19 pm »
Great news!  One last thing, the HB shop doesn't have mag. chloride.  Any suggestions?

Actually, never mind.  Going to skip it and replace with others.  Thanks everyone.
Okay, with that last bit, I can see you're really getting this now!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 08:12:36 pm »
I've been doing this, and have been very happy with the results. From what I understand, the mash will typically provide enough magnesium for yeast health. I typically need ~ 1.6 mL lactic, 4 g CaSO4, 8 g CaCl, and 0.8 g NaCl.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 09:58:45 am »
My only recommendation for a calculator is this: I had a bad experience using BeerSmith for acid additions so I do not recommend it for water calculations.

I'm curious now -- what sort of bad experience did you have? What version did you try the water calculations with? Did you add the water profile as an ingredient, or something else? Were mash and sparge water different? I use BeerSmith fairly extensively (and have explored its use for water calculations), so I'm curious on this!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:03:01 am by Andy Farke »
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 10:33:02 am »
My only recommendation for a calculator is this: I had a bad experience using BeerSmith for acid additions so I do not recommend it for water calculations.

I'm curious now -- what sort of bad experience did you have? What version did you try the water calculations with? Did you add the water profile as an ingredient, or something else? Were mash and sparge water different? I use BeerSmith fairly extensively (and have explored its use for water calculations), so I'm curious on this!

For me, it's the lactic acid additions that are off (way too high)  The rest of it works for me.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 03:53:52 pm »

For me, it's the lactic acid additions that are off (way too high)  The rest of it works for me.

+1. It was the acid addition—way too high. The best addition to the BS water app are the Yellow, Amber, Brown, Black, etc profiles from Bru’nwater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk