Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SIngle vessel partygyle  (Read 1265 times)

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
SIngle vessel partygyle
« on: March 16, 2018, 02:52:38 pm »
So Jim's epic double mash thread has me thinking of new and exciting ways to use my new single vessel mash and boil. This would also apply to the robobrew/grainfather etc. Here is my thought, please let me know if this sounds right or if anyone does it. I will have to do some math on the limit of the system to see if I can even do a decent gravity no sparge. 

1. First round of grain goes in mashes regularly, basically max out water to grain ratio.
2. Lift basket to drain and set it aside in a bucket.
3. Boil first beer.
4. Put basket back in kettle, add a little bit of grain/specialty malt as needed.
5. Mash again, lift, rinse, repeat.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, and since the first beer doesn't get sparged there should be quite a bit of sugar left over. Theoretically all you would need is a M+B style system and an extra bucket.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: SIngle vessel partygyle
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 03:41:34 pm »
That sounds just like the old time method where they ran the first wort to an underback or separate kettle, and mashesd in with fresh water and a "cap" of fresh malt in the mash tun.  (If I understand you're  making two separate beers, not a double.) Your procedure is identical, you just have a different configuration of vessels.  In fact there might be some enzyme activity in the grain while you boil the first wort, maybe getting even more extract in the second. You could maybe keep it insulated?

The fact that your equipment configuration differs from some conventional model -- well that's homebrewing.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
Re: SIngle vessel partygyle
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 06:17:25 am »
That sounds just like the old time method where they ran the first wort to an underback or separate kettle, and mashesd in with fresh water and a "cap" of fresh malt in the mash tun.  (If I understand you're  making two separate beers, not a double.) Your procedure is identical, you just have a different configuration of vessels.  In fact there might be some enzyme activity in the grain while you boil the first wort, maybe getting even more extract in the second. You could maybe keep it insulated?

The fact that your equipment configuration differs from some conventional model -- well that's homebrewing.

Exactly, it would be two batches. Basically just cap the mash with some fresh grain to boost it a bit, and probably some roast etc. I could see this working well for maybe a 7% IPA to a 3.5% Irish stout. The big benefit would be twice the beer with really no extra equipment. Come to think of it, it would probably work for a double mash to make a big beer on one of these small systems...