Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ok to store kegs with Starsan?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline ferb

• 1st Kit
ok to store kegs with Starsan?
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:05:01 pm »
I'm relatively new to kegging and my first two Cornies are empty. 8^(
I cleaned the kegs, lines and faucets with PBW first and then flushed them with Starsan.

My question is, I ran all of the Starsan through the faucets until they were foaming and spitting. Is it ok to leave it like this for an extended period? I probably won't be able to brew for a little while so they'll sit empty. Any harm to leave this acidic solution on the keg's rubber gaskets and the faucet's inner workings?

-Brett

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: ok to store kegs with Starsan?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »
Ummm... I think it's OK. Residual foam isn't anything to worry about. If it worries you upend the keg(s) for a few minutes with the lid off to drain. It's what I do and never had a problem.

Starsan breaks down pretty quickly and easily AFAIK.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline alemental

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:09:15 pm »
I recently listend to the 2 Brew Strong podcasts (Cleaning & Sanitizing) that had a representative from 5 Star speaking. He wouldn't commit to an actual length of time that it is OK to store Starsan in a keg, but said that he had done so for 6 months with no issues, & that being acidic, was probably safer for the metal than storing water. I personally do it every time with my kegs.
By the way, Starsan made with RO or distilled water will last nearly indefinably.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 03:03:25 pm »
Kegs should be fine.  The phosphoric acid in the sada syrup they were designed to hold is much worse than star san, and as you can tell, it deos not effect the kegs!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!