Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA recipe- tropical hop combo advice  (Read 1397 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
IPA recipe- tropical hop combo advice
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:14:22 pm »
I’ve been fairly resistant to the new tropical hops.  I’ve been sticking with my Centennial, Columbus, etc. But decided to go ahead and try a tropical IPA or APA. I was thinking of a mosaic, equanot, and Loral hop schedule.   (large amount of citra kind of disagree with me. Little to pungent and sweet).  All equal parts, mostly very late in the boil, large whirlpool, large dry hop. Aside from Mosaic I haven’t experimented with any of these hops. Anyone done a combination close to this or have opinion?
Thanks
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline TENNISPROROB

• Cellarman
Re: IPA recipe- tropical hop combo advice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:34:16 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of lots of citra too.  I have great success with mosaic galaxy together and I will always use a third hop with them. I like Idaho 7 ( think it's got a new name now) Vic secret, equinot and most recent is enigma.

Offline joeyha

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:57:23 am »
El Dorado has been one of my favourites lately for that tropical taste with flavors of pineapple and mango.

Amarillo also plays nicely with the tropical hops, more on the orange citrus side of things.

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 05:52:50 pm »
^^^ Amarillo plays really nicely with the tropical character. 

Fermentation at Elevation