Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
pH?
« on: April 01, 2018, 05:36:53 am »
I've never bothered getting equipment or strips to measure pH and most people seem to like my beer.

My setup is BIAB, all grain. I treat the mash water per Bru'n Water calculations and brew the darker malty styles i.e. porters and stouts.

How would measuring pH be helpful?

Comments please.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: pH?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 05:39:42 am »
My honest informed opinion:  If your beer tastes good, then don't go down the rabbit hole cuz it truly ain't worth it.  Seriously.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 05:46:58 am »
What you're doing is obviously fine. I only check pH when I brew with malts I'm not familiar with or when I try a new technique, just as a means of verification. Being able to measure pH will come in handy if you find yourself having trouble, like efficiency changes you can't account for. But ya, if you are having success and your malt and water is not changing, you're fine. Probably

There are other uses for a pH meter than mash though. Like detecting that your starter is active.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 05:47:12 am »
It’s helpful to be able to measure another parameter so you could know if and how to adjust. If you’re happy with your beers, skip it. I didn’t start measuring pH until I got a sack of acidic Pilsner malt from Beat Malz. My beers were dryer than expected and had a harsh graininess to them.

If you do buy a meter, get quality traceable buffers for calibration.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 07:08:51 am »
Just saw this question on another thread in equipment and software.  Bru'n Water is, IME,  so close that it's probably more accurate than my ability to measure either pH or salts and acid.  Go ahead and trust it as long as the results are good.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 07:39:49 am »
Even if you rely on a model for mash pH, it won’t give you any insight into pre and post boil pH, or any of your fermentation pH characteristics. You need a meter for that. If you don’t care about those measurements, then proceed as you have been. If you want to dial in, or monitor those variables, as well as, ensure that your predicted mash pH is correct, then you need a meter. Stevie’s example of the acidic best malz lots is a great example of where an assumption based prediction model breaks down vs actual measurement.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 08:24:24 am »
It’s helpful to be able to measure another parameter so you could know if and how to adjust. If you’re happy with your beers, skip it. I didn’t start measuring pH until I got a sack of acidic Pilsner malt from Beat Malz. My beers were dryer than expected and had a harsh graininess to them.

If you do buy a meter, get quality traceable buffers for calibration.

That Best Malz Pils got me too.

Bru’nwater is a good predictive tool. Predictive tools like Bru’nwater rely on input data. If the data entered don’t match the actual physical parameter, the model’s out put will not match the measured value.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!