Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary in Keg and Serving Advice Needed  (Read 1349 times)

Offline bigpete225

• 1st Kit
Secondary in Keg and Serving Advice Needed
« on: December 26, 2018, 10:25:11 pm »
Friends... need some advice please. For the first time I tried using a keg for secondary and dry hopping. I transferred to another keg for serving but unfortunately, transferred in quite a bit of hop sediment.  After carbonating for a few days at 30 psi, I turned down to serving pressure to check my level of carbonation and ended up with clogging.  I depressurized, removed the out post, cleared the dip tube and post and reassembled. I went through this a number of times, probably eight or more, and still had clogging. At this point I put the keg back into the fridge to drop the sediment, but I am unsure if I should just transfer to another keg or try again. I am worried about infection at this point.

Any and all advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
Re: Secondary in Keg and Serving Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:05:56 am »
You could try and put a filter on the inlet of the dip tube if you have loose hop matter in your keg and just serve directly from there. I'm not affiliated with these vendors (disclaimer) but other brewers seem to have had good luck using these products.  The second one has huge surface area which should stand up many ounces of loose hops. I think if you sanitize carefully, it should be fine.  Keep the headspace purged with CO2 while you change out the dip tube / add the filter to avoid oxygen exposure.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Corny-Keg-Dip-Tube-Screen_p_2091.html

https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#autosiphon

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:18:49 am »
I'd try using a shorter diptube before anything else.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:57:37 am »
I bought a couple of dip tube screens as mentioned above just for this purpose.  They work fine.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 11:33:28 am »
I bought a couple of dip tube screens as mentioned above just for this purpose.  They work fine.

THIS^^^^^....cheap and easy
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 12:43:46 pm »

These do work very well, but ideally they're attached before kegging and carbonating the beer. Using them in this instance would require reaching a hand (gloved and sani'd of course) into the beer inside the keg to slip it on.

A shorter diptube (bent or cut) would be less damaging--again, in this particular situation--from an oxidation standpoint. All the crap you're trying to avoid picking up is on the bottom of the keg. Just need to get the diptube slightly away the bottom.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 12:52:49 pm »

These do work very well, but ideally they're attached before kegging and carbonating the beer. Using them in this instance would require reaching a hand (gloved and sani'd of course) into the beer inside the keg to slip it on.

A shorter diptube (bent or cut) would be less damaging--again, in this particular situation--from an oxidation standpoint. All the crap you're trying to avoid picking up is on the bottom of the keg. Just need to get the diptube slightly away the bottom.

Not necessarily...you can remove the post, pull the diptube and slip it on.  Done that (too) many times.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 03:52:55 pm »
I use http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/.  It's a floating dip tub and it works great. 
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny