Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ingredient Battles  (Read 2868 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Ingredient Battles
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 01:09:44 pm »
Denny hates Fuggels. I am not a kiss ass. Equals, I was determined to love them.

Hi, my name is Jim and I'm a fuggles hater.

My local brewpub's beers all have that same "boiled peanut" flavor you describe. However, I'm pretty sure that most don't use fuggles. I mean their "Helles" has that flavor...
That keg blew a couple weeks ago. It's hard to go totally by memory. The mid palate thing I'm convinced was high sulfate. The peanut thing was subtle, and I suppose one could also call it "earthy"  so I'm thinking it's fuggles.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 04:39:12 pm »
Denny hates Fuggels. I am not a kiss ass. Equals, I was determined to love them.

Hi, my name is Jim and I'm a fuggles hater.

My local brewpub's beers all have that same "boiled peanut" flavor you describe. However, I'm pretty sure that most don't use fuggles. I mean their "Helles" has that flavor...
That keg blew a couple weeks ago. It's hard to go totally by memory. The mid palate thing I'm convinced was high sulfate. The peanut thing was subtle, and I suppose one could also call it "earthy"  so I'm thinking it's fuggles.

Could well be something totally different then. The peanut flavor I get from this brewery's beer isn't subtle, at times it's downright strong.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 08:56:29 pm »
I get a lot of peanut character from Maris Otter, especially when toasted in the oven for ~15 minutes.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 09:50:06 pm »
I get a lot of peanut character from Maris Otter, especially when toasted in the oven for ~15 minutes.
Peanut Beer
12 lbs Maris otter toasted
Mash in 400ppm SO4 water
100 IBUs from Fuggles
For insurance, splash it around a lot post fermentation

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 09:55:18 pm »
I used to get kind of a peanut flavor from Fat tire, maybe dump one in to harvest the yeast?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 10:00:37 pm »
I used to get kind of a peanut flavor from Fat tire, maybe dump one in to harvest the yeast?
And they were going for tire flavor... what a let down

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 05:00:59 am »
Coincindentally, a friend wants to make a peanut butter beer (well, no, but his wife wants him to.)  He doesn't fancy the mess of PB2 or the like.  I recently suggested a good helping of biscuit or home-toasted pale malt to suggest peanut flavor. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 05:18:25 am »
Coincindentally, a friend wants to make a peanut butter beer (well, no, but his wife wants him to.)  He doesn't fancy the mess of PB2 or the like.  I recently suggested a good helping of biscuit or home-toasted pale malt to suggest peanut flavor.

My brother enjoys a stout with a good nutty flavor.  I just brewed it 2 months ago.  Used Maris Otter as the base, with 2.5% of it toasted.  Turned out perfect -- enough nuttiness to be noticeable without being overpowering at all.  If I really wanted to make a strong peanut flavored beer, I might use up to 10% toasted, but that's really kind of a lot too.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.