Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer gun and warm beer  (Read 792 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Beer gun and warm beer
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:11:28 am »
Going to bottle a brett saison today for the first time using a beer gun.  The beer is not carbonated- I am choosing to add sugar (done this morning) and prime in the bottle.  The beer has been sitting in a keg, dry hops now removed, for the last week at ~68F.  It had some natural carbonation to it but for the last week I have been letting off gas a few times a day.  I assume it is relatively flat or maybe has a little natural carbonation to it at this time. 

My question is: If I bottle it warm with the beer gun am I going to have foam issues even if the beer is not really carbonated?  I wouldn't imagine there would be too much CO2 left to come out of carbonation and it has been sitting at room temp anyways so there is no differential to cause extra foaming, right?  If I do chill it do I need to worry about dropping residual yeast out of suspension or if it is cold for just a short time will there be plenty around to carb up the bottles?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Beer gun and warm beer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:46:53 am »
I wouldn't expect much if any foam, not that I've used a beer gun.  A little foam to fill that fills the headspace could be beneficial.  I don't think chilling would be beneficial, but probably wouldn't hurt.

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Beer gun and warm beer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:09:58 pm »
Went ahead and gave it a try without the chill. Absolutely no foam problems.  Good to know for future batches.