Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting sour.  (Read 1377 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Getting sour.
« on: March 30, 2018, 04:55:05 pm »
I have a sour I made from bottle dregs back in December and was wondering what my next steps should be. I seem to be getting some acetic acid and I was wondering if I should bottle or keep waiting. I think the flavor is everything I want it to be and the sourness is as well. Would cold crashing stop the acid from overpowering the beer? I think this one is ready for bottles but would like brief feedback.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Getting sour.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 06:33:30 pm »
If it tastes good and is where you want it, go ahead and bottle it. Some of my sours are ready in 6 months and some are ready at a year or more. I always go by what my taste buds are telling me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 02:18:03 am »
You need to be sure it is at or close enough to terminal gravity to avoid bottle bombs.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 10:59:01 am »
You need to be sure it is at or close enough to terminal gravity to avoid bottle bombs.

+100000000000000000000000000

Cold crashing won't do anything.The LAB will continue souring and brett will continue fermenting. At four months the beer is probably not close to reaching its terminal gravity.

If you like where the beer is right now your best course of action is to bottle, carbonate for a couple weeks at room temperature and then store them cold to be consumed immediately.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 11:08:06 pm »

+100000000000000000000000000

Cold crashing won't do anything.The LAB will continue souring and brett will continue fermenting. At four months the beer is probably not close to reaching its terminal gravity.

If you like where the beer is right now your best course of action is to bottle, carbonate for a couple weeks at room temperature and then store them cold to be consumed immediately.

They way it will probably go down is like this: bottle the beer in the month of April. Let beers sit for 6-8 weeks and sample one. Let beers sit.

I have some sours/brett I made a year ago, the dregs are in this newer beer, with 3711. I’m in personal uncharted territory.

Thank you for the feed back. I guess bottle bombs aren’t really a concern for me.
I might store them warm. See. I fermented at 80* and brought it up to 85* over a month.

I am wondering about 5e amount of priming sugar to use though.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."