General Category > All Grain Brewing

How do I mash these?

(1/2) > >>

tomthebrewer:

I want to make a cream ale next week and I have everything I need except flaked corn. So instead of ordering just that, I thought I'd use grits. I've read about cereal mashes, but there seems to be some dispute about whether it's necessary. So can I just cook the grits and then add them to the ton?

MDixon:
You do not have to do a cereal mash, but you DO have to cook the grits. The problem is it takes about 1 gallon of water per pound of grits to keep them runny. I remember using 2 lbs in a recipe once and it took 2 gallons of water to keep them from being cement. Some crushed grain (cereal mash) would only require more water to keep them moving.

denny:
If you're using quick grits, do you even need to do a cereal mash?  I've added instant polenta right to mash without cooking.

bonjour:
but only the "quick" grits.
Treat these 'quick' products similar to flaked, gelatinized, brewing products

tomthebrewer:
So I can add these straight to the mash? I was planning on using 0.5 pounds in a 3 gallon batch some rice hulls to insure against a stuck run-off. When I figure my water/grist ratio, does this affect it any differently than flaked maize?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version