Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RIMS control panel  (Read 1939 times)

Offline paulcgi

• 1st Kit
RIMS control panel
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:04:24 am »
I'm building a new control panel for my RIMS setup. A friend gave me an old control panel he removed from a plant. It has a 30 amp contactor in it, 2 power switches and 2 60minute timers.
I'm thinking about removing the timers and replacing with my Watlow temp controllers but wanted to get some feedback from others to see if anybody has any suggestions. I've thought about leaving a timer in place for the mash pump. That way (so my thought-process went) I could set the timer to say 30 minutes and go about the rest of my work. When the pump turns off, check for conversion.. then reset pump to another 30 minutes (or whatever) and let it continue.
The only thing I'm somewhat concerned with is having the PID controller turn the heater on when the pump is not running.. although I could set the pump AND heater on the same timer.. so that when the pump turns off, the heater turns off..

hmmm.. sounds like a plan.
any thoughts or suggestions?

TIA
Paul

Offline paulcgi

• 1st Kit
Re: RIMS control panel
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:16:13 pm »
welp.. I took the timers out..  the SSR for the watlow is connected through the pump's power switch so the heater can not be on unless the pump is on.. seems to work.. will do some functional testing this weekend
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulcgi/4866912458/

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »
I wouldn't worry about having a timer on the mash.  If the mash goes a little long, so what.  It's more important to keep the pump running to keep the wort in the heat chamber moving.  Having the SSR power integrated to the pump power is a great idea though.  Prevents mistakes!

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline paulcgi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:11:29 pm »
right.. timers are removed. I was just thinking/typing out loud trying to figure out how I wanted to set the thing up.
gonna try to finish it up tonight and do a test brew this weekend.
nothing else in the system will have changed.. just means that I don't have to control the pump by unplugging it any more.

only real things missing from the panel are blinky lights & stuff..  after I clean up the wiring to make some room, I'm going to add some.. just for fun