Author Topic: Bought 2-3 Year Old Hops  (Read 665 times)

Offline swampale

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Bought 2-3 Year Old Hops
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
I ordered some Spalt and GR Northern Brewer hops and the lot no. said 2015 and 2016. What gives? Do homebrewers not rate newer hops or is it simply " first in and first out " LHBS practice. I would like 2017 hops please.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Bought 2-3 Year Old Hops
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »
I would find a new place to buy hops.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:03:41 PM »
I ordered some Spalt and GR Northern Brewer hops and the lot no. said 2015 and 2016. What gives? Do homebrewers not rate newer hops or is it simply " first in and first out " LHBS practice. I would like 2017 hops please.

It's up to the place you buy them.  If they order old hops because they're cheaper, that's what you get.  But it's certainly possible, and not difficult, for homebrewers to get more current hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
I don't buy from places that don't specify the year.

That said, if pellets and stored properly (vacuum sealed and frozen preferably), they should be fine.  Smell them - if they smell like romano, throw them out.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 03:11:03 PM »
I don't buy from places that don't specify the year.

That said, if pellets and stored properly (vacuum sealed and frozen preferably), they should be fine.  Smell them - if they smell like romano, throw them out.

Yep, they do keep; remember how in recent years world markets have been affected at times by several years' worth of pellets in storage.  The pros like a long-term supply, maybe we should relax.  (But I look for new crop too.  And then I store them a long time!)
Rob
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:12:02 PM »
I just threw out about 2 pounds worth of 2016 hops that were sealed in my freezer since I bought them fresh last year.  Probably not necessary, but I’m a bit OCD.

It is well documented that alpha degrades rapidly even under the best conditions.  Different varieties degrade at different rates, but to make use of old hops for bittering one would need to know the HSI (hop storage index).  I don’t have specific info on how quickly or slowly hop oils degrade in nitrogen flushed , vacuum sealed, light-proof bags stored in a freezer, but I do know that oil degradation begins immediately after harvesting.

The bottom line for me is, I can afford it so I go with current year hops.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline blatz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 06:30:00 PM »
I just threw out about 2 pounds worth of 2016 hops that were sealed in my freezer since I bought them fresh last year.  Probably not necessary, but I’m a bit OCD.

just a little bit.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Kevin

• Cellarman
  • Free from the Style Police!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:51:44 PM »
Looking at old brewing logs it appears that English brewers often used hops that were several years old. I recently saw a recipe from 1953 and the log stated that one of the bittering hops used was from the 1950 crop.

“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »
Looking at old brewing logs it appears that English brewers often used hops that were several years old. I recently saw a recipe from 1953 and the log stated that one of the bittering hops used was from the 1950 crop.

This likely led to more hop tannins than the average American brewer may desire. However, some historical beers are supposed to have that flavor, so YMMV.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 11:08:36 AM »
This may well have been done of necessity, not by choice.  You'd have to look at crop reports for the years around 1950, and also remember times were pretty tough in the UK in the post war years.
Rob
Akron, Ohio

Offline swampale

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
Maybe Spalt and NB hops just aren't that popular where I live. Maybe I will just stick to US " C " hops and Hallertauer, Saaz etc.

Offline Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »
Maybe Spalt and NB hops just aren't that popular where I live. Maybe I will just stick to US " C " hops and Hallertauer, Saaz etc.
Spalt and NB have largely been abandoned in Germany, Spalt being superseded by Select and NB by a succession of bittering varieties.  I look at continental aroma hops as falling into "types" -- Saaz and Hallertau --  and look for the varieties within those types that are available.
Rob
Akron, Ohio

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »
OH!  Here is my recommendation for an excellent place to buy hops:  https://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline Robert

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 05:02:47 PM »
OH!  Here is my recommendation for an excellent place to buy hops:  https://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/
Cool, I was just thinking of giving them a try!

EDIT(Why was I thinking of trying them?  Well, of course, because they have the variety I want in 2017, my trusted go-to sources have 2016!)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:07:46 PM by Robert »
Rob
Akron, Ohio

Offline blatz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 05:22:35 PM »

+1 - I buy almost all my hops here nowadays.