I imagine most of my questions could be answered with a bunch of separate searches, but perhaps if we post links or info below, this post could become a "sticky" post for others looking to build their own Electric BIAB.
I have been considering the UniBrau V3, but I often see people saying you could build your own for far less. Trouble is, I have no idea what to even search for. DIY projects are typically no problem, but I know very little about electrical systems.
One thing I particularly like about the UniBrau is the ability to brew with 110v on two different circuits. Can anyone recommend a parts list to me, or maybe a good resource for learning how to build a single vessel electric brew system?
I brew 5.5 gallon batches and I'd like to build the system around a Spike 10 gallon kettle.
Specifically I'm trying to figure out:
- What controller - and are there controllers that can simultaneously control 2 electric elements?
- Do controllers usually come with a thermometer, and if not, how do I ensure I buy a compatible one?
- Are there elements small enough, yet still powerful enough to put two in this kettle?
- I'd rather use a metal basket than a bag for the mash, but where would I find such a basket for sale?
- When recirculating the mash, do I need a basket that fits snugly against the sides of the kettle? If not, how do you ensure the mash circulates through the grain bed and not around it?
- How do I keep the grain basket off of the elements when circulating my mash?
- What other questions am I missing?