Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maibock stuck at 1.028  (Read 1977 times)

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Maibock stuck at 1.028
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:03:36 pm »
Hey all,

I brewed a maibock 3 weeks ago. It seems to be stuck at 1.028. It tastes fine other than it seems to have a bit of sweetness that reminds me, slightly, of the sugary sweetness from underattenuation.

OG 1.072
21L batch size

3.18kg Avangard Pilsner malt
1.81kg Avangard Munich malt

Mash at 156degF for 60 minutes

2 pkg WLP833 in 2L starter
fermented at 50degF for 1 week then ramped up to 65degF

Do I just call it good and keg it? Or, should I make a small starter with more yeast and try to drop a few more points? Or, perhaps swirl it to try to get some yeast back up in suspension to hopefully drop the FG a bit more?

Cheers,
Brandon

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Maibock stuck at 1.028
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:40:42 am »
Some numbers must be off. Seems like not nearly enough malt to get 21L of that gravity

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 05:50:35 am »
Thanks, Jim for your observation. It was actually a 12L batch

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 06:30:38 am »
Brandon,

I would swirl and keep it warm.  I really don't think it's done yet.  However, you did mash a little high for a high gravity beer.  And if your mash thermometer was off just a little bit, consider whether you might have actually mashed at like 160 F or in that neighborhood.  That could mean maybe it really is done.  Calibrate with boiling water and see what you get.  The boiling point around here is supposedly 210 F (not actually 212 F).

Good luck man.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 06:50:45 am »
Thanks Dave. I'll give that a whirl. I'll also be sure to check my thermometer.

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 07:16:58 am »
While I am thinking about it, it has been a long time since I have calibrated my own thermometer... think I'll do that tonight.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:21:02 am »
How are you measuring gravity? With all the chatter on refractometer lately, just curious

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:26:21 am »
How are you measuring gravity? With all the chatter on refractometer lately, just curious
I'm using a hydrometer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 10:45:27 am »
I'm using a hydrometer.

Well, that's not the problem then. Hmmm

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 08:28:11 am »

Check the calibration on your hydrometer too.  I always wonder if that little paper roll can move.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline FermentedCulture

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 09:26:43 am »
WLP833's recommended temperature range is below all of the other in whitelab's lager portfolio.

In a month or two we should have this confirmed but I suspect because of it's cryotolerance plus people's reported low attenuations it might be a Saaz type lager yeast. One of the main characteristics this type of yeast grouping differs from the other grouping of lager yeasts (Frohberg) is that it is more flocculent and uses less maltotriose (one of the abundant sugars in wort). It also has some different flavour characteristics.

Rousing might help as others have suggested or adding a secondary yeast to finish it off.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 01:39:07 pm »
WLP833's recommended temperature range is below all of the other in whitelab's lager portfolio.

In a month or two we should have this confirmed but I suspect because of it's cryotolerance plus people's reported low attenuations it might be a Saaz type lager yeast. One of the main characteristics this type of yeast grouping differs from the other grouping of lager yeasts (Frohberg) is that it is more flocculent and uses less maltotriose (one of the abundant sugars in wort). It also has some different flavour characteristics.

Rousing might help as others have suggested or adding a secondary yeast to finish it off.

Thanks for that bit of info. I have been rousing it periodically for the last few days. I have to take another gravity reading yet.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 01:42:56 pm »
I checked the calibration of the thermometer I use for brewing. Boiling water measured 210.2 degF and ice water measured 32.2 degF. I compared it to the other digital thermometer I use in the kitchen. My kitchen thermometer measured 212.3 and 33.6 degF. I also verified the calibration of my hydrometer. Tap water measured 1.002 at 70 degF. If the gravity is still too high I will probably pitch more yeast of a different strain to try to drop a few  more points.

cheers,
Brandon

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 09:12:12 pm »
Another update. I finally pitched more yeast in an active starter. I also added some DME that I boiled in water to add for carbonating in the keg. Hopefully this will help the final gravity drop a few more points and to carbonate it at the same time. I am thinking that a week will, hopefully, be enough time to let this process complete. Any thoughts on this? I will let it go longer if necessary.

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 06:25:00 am »
Hopefully that should help.  Good luck!
Dave