Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: can mount pump vertical?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
can mount pump vertical?
« on: March 23, 2018, 05:00:49 pm »
My new brew-stand was delivered today!  Looking it over, the best setup for me would to mount my riptide pump vertical on one of the legs. Will a vertical mounting still work or does the pump really need to be horizontal?

thx

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: can mount pump vertical?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 05:07:23 pm »
I would go to blichmann website and shoot him an email. He's good at giving the scoop on his equipment.

I suspect that the pump head with a bleeder doesn't matter what position, it will depend on if the motor is designed to run vertical. The bearing design might require it to be horizontal

Edit: I sent them an email out of curiosity
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 05:23:45 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline IPAnic

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 06:42:13 pm »
As long as inlet/suction side of pump is flooded (below level of liquid to be pumped), pumps/motors don't know the difference of the position.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 05:48:19 am »
Non self priming pumps seem to cavitate when I try to use them in a vertical mount configuration but they still pump.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 06:26:10 am »
I would go to blichmann website and shoot him an email. He's good at giving the scoop on his equipment.

I suspect that the pump head with a bleeder doesn't matter what position, it will depend on if the motor is designed to run vertical. The bearing design might require it to be horizontal

Edit: I sent them an email out of curiosity

Thanks!..  I could mount horizontal but the top of pump motor will be about 6" below a burner and not sure if that is too close. I am going to use U bolts to mount it so I can always swap it around if needed. Let me know if they email back

Z
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:32:29 am by zman51 »

The Beerery

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 08:37:29 am »
While not blichmans.  I run my 3 pumps vertical with zero issues. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 10:23:20 am »
While not blichmans.  I run my 3 pumps vertical with zero issues. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yours are center inlet. I’d worry about airpockets with a traditional inline head.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 10:24:48 am »
Post a pic of your stand. I’m having trouble understanding why you don’t have more mounting options.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 11:48:23 am »
Non self priming pumps seem to cavitate when I try to use them in a vertical mount configuration but they still pump.

YIKES!  Cavitation is really bad for pumps.

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 07:19:06 am »
Post a pic of your stand. I’m having trouble understanding why you don’t have more mounting options.

[/URL][/img]

Here it is, there is 10" between bottom and top 2" square.

[/URL][/img]

Second pic is what I did for the weekend. Being that I am using the middle for just mashtun and burner not used, I mounted the chiller and pump under it. If one day I need to use middle burner, I am hoping the chiller and pump are far enough away.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:28:01 am by zman51 »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 01:57:20 pm »
My new brew-stand was delivered today!  Looking it over, the best setup for me would to mount my riptide pump vertical on one of the legs. Will a vertical mounting still work or does the pump really need to be horizontal?

thx
It can be but if mounted vertical (Pump head up direction) it will not completely drain. When you remove the clamp that holds the heads to the pump and remove the pump head, it will drain and run down the motor.

Sincerely,

Doug Granlund

Customer Service

Blichmann Engineering

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 02:46:11 pm »
How you have it mounted in the bottom pic is fine. The inlet is at the bottom and outlet is at the top. I thought you were talking about mounting the body vertically so the pump head is horizontal to the ground.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 08:21:17 pm »

YIKES!  Cavitation is really bad for pumps.

Agreed.  That is why I mount them horizontally with a right to left flow pattern, rather than as Bryan shows his, but of course mine are not center outlet types, either, so that appears to have an impact as noted by others.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 10:00:24 am »
I think the bottom picture shown above is set up perfectly. 

By orienting the pump so that the output comes out the top, you have set up a natural gravity fed "priming" of the pump. Air bubbles will naturally float out the top, and they will not stay trapped in the pump head. You will never have a problem with cavitation or it not getting primed. On disconnect, any liquid will flow back down and out the bottom, ensuring that there is nothing left stagnant inside the pump head, prolonging the life of the pump. (assuming you CLEAN it thoroughly and let it air dry).
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge