Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1450  (Read 2036 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Wyeast 1450
« on: March 19, 2018, 05:20:18 pm »
 I’m using Denny‘s favorite Wyeast 1450 for the first time on Saturday.   What is a temperature recommendation for an IPA?   Also what is a typical final gravity number?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wyeast 1450
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 05:48:26 pm »
63-65F is what I use it at.  72-80+ % attenuation is typical for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 06:55:12 pm »
I have used it in 3 beers so far, all 1.100 OG or bigger. My Barleywine (Huge IPA, biggerfoot lol) ended up at 1.021 at 11%. It was about 78% apparent attenuation. I ran it at 60F 4 days, then 64F 4 days, then 68F. Terminal Gravity in about 10 days. No sugar, all golden promise.  It's cold crashing now.

Denny may disagree, but it behaves like a high attenuation English yeast. It creates a thick creamy krausen that hangs around, and my starter always smells like grape lollipop. I love the low fruitiness, dependability, and the mouthfeel. Quickly on its way to becoming my house yeast.

Edit: operator error. Barleywine actually finished at 1.023, so about 76.5% apparent attenuation - sorry.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:02:53 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:29:41 pm »
Thanks guys!  Cooler than I thought.  I was thinking 67*
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 10:20:39 am »
Is there a functional equivalent to 1450 by any other yeast makers?  My LHBS gave up carrying Wyeast due to minimum purchase and shipping logistics/expenses.  I had really liked 1450’s versatility.  I guess I can order it online with a cool pack, but it makes it a bit more expensive per pack that way...unless I bundle it with other yeasts in a multiple purchase.  Really bummed about my LHBS.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 11:21:46 am »
I find first gen attenuation to be on the lower end;  just recently got 73% on an ESB.  After that it usually picks up to the mid high 70s.  I have it running on an Imperial Stout right now and am hoping for 75%, started at 60df for 2 days, 62 for 2, then will hit 65 and eventually 68 to make sure it finishes up.

using the remainder of my ESB gen 1 cake on an IPA in mid April and will take the same temp approach as that has served me well.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 10:36:14 am »
Is there a functional equivalent to 1450 by any other yeast makers?  My LHBS gave up carrying Wyeast due to minimum purchase and shipping logistics/expenses.  I had really liked 1450’s versatility.  I guess I can order it online with a cool pack, but it makes it a bit more expensive per pack that way...unless I bundle it with other yeasts in a multiple purchase.  Really bummed about my LHBS.

No, there is no other like it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 03:43:43 pm »

No, there is no other like it.

Kinda thought that might be the case...welcome back to the States, Denny.  I hope your Kiwi trip was interesting and fruitful.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"