Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Which yeast is the best choice for a Märzen?

S-189 Swiss Lager
8 (53.3%)
M76 Bavarian Lager
0 (0%)
M84 Bohemian Lager
1 (6.7%)
W-34/70
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Best Dry Yeast for a Märzen  (Read 6582 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Best Dry Yeast for a Märzen
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 11:54:46 am »
Make a shaken starter off of preboil wort and pitch a bit later in the day.
Pull off into small pot, boil, chill, make starter. It does need to be boiled, no?
Will be lots of lactobacilli from the grain husks, better boil.  Unless you can ensure that mash off time + temp = sufficient Pasteurization units, and do you feel lucky?  I would just simplify things and use chilled post boil wort.
Yes, boil the starter.
So you boil 2L of wort for 10 mins, then put it in the fridge for a few hours, oxygenate, pitch a pack of liquid yeast at ~75°, then wait a few more hours and pitch the starter into the wort? I suppose that's worth a try. Presumably, I can use second runnings for this, too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34:31 pm »
Yep. Wait for krausen. 2L for 10gal.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2018, 11:37:39 am »
Ok, I'll try this. I assume 1-1.5L will work for 5.5 gallons? That would fit in a half gallon mason jar, which is convenient.

What strain should I use, then? I was leaning toward Imperial Harvest, but Wyeast is a little cheaper if I don't need the extra cells.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2018, 04:20:51 pm »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2018, 12:03:35 pm »
I'm a little late to the convo, but add me to the list of converts from 34/70 to S-189 for dry lager yeast. I find that it has a bit more character (i.e., a slight bit of sulfur production), and doesn't mute hop flavor as much as 34/70. I haven't noticed any improvement in time to bright beer over 34/70, but I don't think it takes any longer either.

The only downside to S-189 is that it doesn't seem to play well with warmer fermentation temps like 34/70 does. With a traditional lager fermentation temp, it is as good or better than 34/70 for all the lager styles I've tried with it. Not that 34/70 is a bad choice, but it doesn't add much and tends to scalp hop flavor.

TL;DR - If you have good temp control use S-189, otherwise use 34/70
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer