Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Seriously?!  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Seriously?!
« on: March 24, 2018, 07:08:21 pm »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Seriously?!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 07:27:54 pm »
I looked, and no, the date on this isn't April 1st....

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/glitter-beer-sparkles-springs-craft-beer-trend
The link goes to a wine club, but yeah glitter beer has been all over my news feed lately. The one yesterday was a purple glitter beer made with peeps in the mash. It was called like peep my something or other. I’m only curious about how the glitter exits the human. I don’t think I want to pee glitter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 07:39:38 pm »
Is the link not working? Is for me.

Anyway, this reminds me of an article last year in, I don't know, Paste or somewhere.  Idea was (specifically referring to pastry stouts) that craft beer has killed itself, or signed its own death warrant at least, because craft beer has forgotten what beer tastes like.   And, apparently, looks like.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 01:30:32 am »
Is the link not working? Is for me.

Anyway, this reminds me of an article last year in, I don't know, Paste or somewhere.  Idea was (specifically referring to pastry stouts) that craft beer has killed itself, or signed its own death warrant at least, because craft beer has forgotten what beer tastes like.   And, apparently, looks like.

I wouldn’t say that craft is killing itself. It’s just becoming more saturated. Some people are going to push in new ways for differentiation. Most of the new beer oddities will be a buzzfeed listicle about weird craft beers of the 2010’s, in a few years, but experimentation is always good IMO. I mean we could go back to the BMC dominant days where the only innovation was in packaging or adding lime flavoring.

To be fair, many of these breweries have said that it’s a big hit for festivals. After the endless stream of ipas, people (women especially) are apparently going wild for the new look. If that gets those people to visit the brewery, then It’s a win for the brewery.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 02:34:49 am »
I heard about this a while back. Took a peek. It's a nothing burger. It's not a trend. It's a stunt. It's not an indication of anything in "the industry". It doesn't reflect poorly or positively on anyone. It's obviously just a handful of brewers having fun. Media hype or social media outrage about it speaks far more to media hype and social media outrage being popular, than it says about the brewery stunt.

Offline ncbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 08:26:31 am »
I remember when Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout was an April Fools joke and now it's always on tap and in cans at Wynkoop. Still more of an oddity and never having consumed Rocky Mountain Oysters I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of it but found it to be an enjoyable "Cream" Stout   ;D 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 10:24:39 am »
I remember when Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout was an April Fools joke and now it's always on tap and in cans at Wynkoop. Still more of an oddity and never having consumed Rocky Mountain Oysters I'm not sure what I was supposed to get out of it but found it to be an enjoyable "Cream" Stout   ;D
Funny you mention this. I just saw an article claiming Oyster Stouts are the next “IT” style.

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:03:24 am »
Flying Fish Brewery had an Exit 1 Bayshore Oyster Stout https://www.flyingfish.com/beers/flyingfish/exit-1-bayshore-oyster-stout/
Na zdrowie!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 11:30:31 am »
Flying Fish Brewery had an Exit 1 Bayshore Oyster Stout https://www.flyingfish.com/beers/flyingfish/exit-1-bayshore-oyster-stout/
Sure, they are around and fine, but it’s not going to become the next IPA.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 11:32:29 am »
Funny you mention this. I just saw an article claiming Oyster Stouts are the next “IT” style.

Oyster stout the next "IT" style -- this article was from how many centuries ago?  I heard about lobster beers a few years ago (I recall they mashed in with the broth from a lobster boil.)  That was short lived, but in either case I can see the saltiness playing ok in some styles.  But the other sludge?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 02:21:20 pm »
I think this looks awesome. I don't think it's an every day thing, but I think it's super fun. It's not going to make a bad beer good, and I don't think I've heard of any brewery trying to hoodwink people with it. If we can't have fun with beer every once in a while, we might as well resign ourselves to be wine, or German. Given that most people won't even be able to find these beers, outrage over it and a little too "stop throwing your frisbee on my lawn!" For me.

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 03:34:01 pm »
I think this looks awesome. I don't think it's an every day thing, but I think it's super fun. It's not going to make a bad beer good, and I don't think I've heard of any brewery trying to hoodwink people with it. If we can't have fun with beer every once in a while, we might as well resign ourselves to be wine, or German. Given that most people won't even be able to find these beers, outrage over it and a little too "stop throwing your frisbee on my lawn!" For me.
As a proud German-American brewer of German-American beers, I resemble that remark!  ;D  And also admit that putting sparkles in the glass is a safer way of having fun with beer than anything involving leather shorts and tubas.  (It should probably be used to chase a shot of Goldschlager to reintroduce the element of risk.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 09:24:48 pm »
I’m not throwing any type of shade on the sparkly beers, BUT, I still want to know:
1. What it’s made of, and what chemicals are used in its production?
2. Does it breakdown in the digestive tract, and if so, into what?
3. Is there a recommended maximum ingestion amount, as this is clearly not the intended use of this product.
4. Does it make your urine sparkle (if so I want to force someone who has to take a urine test to eat a bunch of it, just to freak out the person collecting the sample)?

I’ll drink 100 glitter beers before I have one animal genitalia beer. If that’s weird, I don’t want to be normal.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 09:43:30 am »
I’m not throwing any type of shade on the sparkly beers, BUT, I still want to know:
1. What it’s made of, and what chemicals are used in its production?
2. Does it breakdown in the digestive tract, and if so, into what?
3. Is there a recommended maximum ingestion amount, as this is clearly not the intended use of this product.
4. Does it make your urine sparkle (if so I want to force someone who has to take a urine test to eat a bunch of it, just to freak out the person collecting the sample)?

I’ll drink 100 glitter beers before I have one animal genitalia beer. If that’s weird, I don’t want to be normal.

1. From below: Contains two or more of the following: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Carmine, Mica. Not water soluble.
2. I don't think so.
3. They're used on cakes all the time, but you have to make sure it's edible, and not just "non-toxic". Below is a link from the FDA, and one from the UK Food Standards Agency.
https://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/edibleglitter
https://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm481466.htm
4. I think it'll make your poop sparkle.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2018/3/19/glitter-beer-the-full-report

I'd also like to note that Germans are responsible for the two riskiest alcohols (Jaegermeister & Goldschalger), and probably inspired the third (Fireball).

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 09:53:42 am »
FWIW, the lone bottle of Jägermeister is for purely medicinal use. It's a testament to the gullibility of Americans for advertising how a medicinal digestif became the party drink we know it as now. Works better than anything else I've tried for a greasy belly, though I still find the drink vile. (Less vile than pepto or similar other aids though...)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.