Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop & trub kettle strainer  (Read 1475 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Hop & trub kettle strainer
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:00:40 am »
I tried a new boil kettle strainer yesterday: https://www.anvilbrewing.com/product-p/anv-kettle-strainer.htm

It was fantastically effective at blocking hops and trub.  Better than anything I have tried to date.  And I have a number: Blichman hop blocker (the worst of the lot), the Hop Stopper, Hop spider, etc...

The problem was, since I gravity drain the wort out of the BK to the fermenter, it too an hour (!) to drain and I finally gave up with the better part of a gallon left on the BK.

So I think it needs to be longer.  Something like this: https://synergybrew.com/boil-braid-hop-strainer

At least I think that would work better.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hop & trub kettle strainer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:27:13 am »
Do you use a pump to whirlpool?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 11:20:50 am »
yso191,
Have you seen the thread Martin just spun off from "recirculate mash?" on this board?  His rig looks a lot like the second item you linked.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 03:42:57 pm »
Stevie,

No I just give it a good spin with a spoon.  I don't think it matters though.  It was an IPA with 6.5 ounces of hops coupled with the hot break... the mud at the bottom filled the entire diameter of 15 gallon BK with over an inch of mud.

Robert,

Yes I did see that!  One of my sons in law is a pipefitter.  I've already talked to him about adding it to my BK.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:05:09 pm »
Second brew (this one a Czech Premium Pale Lager) with the Anvil Kettle Strainer.  The Saaz hops were pretty low in AA so I had to use about 6 ounces of hops.  This is not going to work for me.  I know that having trub in the fermenter is not a problem, so I'm just going to suck trub in the future.  But I really like having a small amount of trub left in the cone of the fermenter.

I love how effective it was in blocking trub, I just wish it had better flow!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:08:56 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 03:32:05 pm »
I use the same kettle strainer and have experienced the same slowed drain with hoppy beers. I went back to using a hop spider even with the kettle screen and that did the trick. One thing i did run into with the anvil kettle screen is that it can get hop and trub debris inside the braid which is a pain to clean. Make sure you rinse it very well after each boil. I did find that if you need to clean it inside, a heavy zip tie with a few slits cut into it for grabbing junk, will slide into the braid and remove built up crap.
Corripe Cervisiam