Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Kettle Whirlpool/Inlet Port Location  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Scott

• 1st Kit
Brew Kettle Whirlpool/Inlet Port Location
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:16:08 pm »
I'm looking to add a whirlpool port on my 15 gallon kettle. My question is if I'm going to use the whirlpool port as an inlet port while transferring my wort from my mash tun during the sparge, is there an issue with wort flowing back through the tubing, once the wort level gets about the whirlpool port location? I know that won't be an issue while whirlpooling, but with the low flow rate of wort going into the brew kettle during the sparge, I didn't know if that would be an issue?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brew Kettle Whirlpool/Inlet Port Location
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 10:19:22 pm »
The liquid will try to find level between the two containers. You need to keep the lowest point of the mashtun above the highest liquid leve in the kettle for this to work. The greater the delta, the greater the flow rate.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 02:19:37 am »
If you have a pump you're fine just close the valves before disconnecting hoses.

My kettles are on the same level. I vorlauf my mash by reciculating with my pump. I hook up to my out valve on my boil kettle for transfer usually but the whirlpool in works too. When the mash tun is empty, close all valves and turn off the pump. Then move the hoses to where I need them next. Kettle out to pump in, pump out to whirlpool.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:27:50 am by klickitat jim »

Offline Scott

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 09:28:50 am »
If you have a pump you're fine just close the valves before disconnecting hoses.

My kettles are on the same level. I vorlauf my mash by reciculating with my pump. I hook up to my out valve on my boil kettle for transfer usually but the whirlpool in works too. When the mash tun is empty, close all valves and turn off the pump. Then move the hoses to where I need them next. Kettle out to pump in, pump out to whirlpool.

Perfect, this is what I wanted to confirm. Yeah, I have a 3 vessel, single tier system, with 2 pumps. So the transfer will be done with a pump, but the liquid level in the brew kettle will eventually be higher than the mash tun. But if it doesn't matter as long as the pump is running, then I should be good.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 01:30:05 pm »
Yup, you're good to go

Obviously any "hole" below the wort level needs a valve. My whirlpool inlet is actually attached to my chiller. I've considered putting one directly on my kettle. If I did it would be a QD on a weldless bulk head a couple inches from the top, 90° elbow inside facing down, then a 1/2 tube going down below wort level where it would then have a 90° bend to create the tangent whirlpool flow.

If it weren't for the cost, labor, and added difficulty to clean, I would do it. My recirculation immersion chiller gets the job done, though not as cool looking.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:58:31 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 09:18:18 pm »
You didn’t mention using the pump for the lauter and I assumed gravity.