Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is wrong with my taste buds? (Mosaic)  (Read 1566 times)

Offline kurtmoyer

• 1st Kit
What is wrong with my taste buds? (Mosaic)
« on: March 25, 2018, 10:11:11 am »
I need help figuring this out because it is very frustrating.  I find that beers that contain Mosaic hops, especially in dry hopping, have a very bitter, medicinal, soapy, and astringent flavor profile.  I seem to have the same problem with Cascade and today I had the issue with Citra and/or Simcoe.  My friends and others get potent sweet tropical fruit flavors which seem to escape me.  I doesn't seem to be as much of a problem when these same hops are part of the boil. I have seen some others complain of the same problem, described as similar to how some people get soapy flavors from cilantro while others get  more herbal flavors.  (Note: I am not a person that gets soapy flavors from cilantro.)  Is there a common hop component found in these varieties?  Is there a volatile component that remains when dry hopping that isn't present when used in the boil?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What is wrong with my taste buds? (Mosaic)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:17:05 am »
FWIW I am in fact one of those genetically cursed to get the soapy (I also think bleachy) flavors in cilantro, and I DON'T get it in Mosaic and the other hops you mention.  I don't know if that gives anybody a clue to what's going on.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What is wrong with my taste buds? (Mosaic)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 12:08:40 pm »
It is okay to not like Mosaic.  Our club had a single hop experiment where a common wort was shared and everyone had a different yeast to try.  We bittered with the hop shot extract at the exact same levels and whirlpooled and dry hopped at the same times with the assigned hops (meted out to be the same level of IBU's per hop - as if boiled).  I had Mosaic and while it was ok, I ended up not really liking it.  A lot of the citrusy stuff just doesn't hit my palate right, especially when dry hopped.  I am okay with others finding it to be fantastic...palates differ, for sure.

I think there is something to the dry hop of Mosaic that isn't there in flavor (late boil) additions.  I can't pinpoint it, but I know it wasn't something that I was drawn toward.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"