Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Green Flash Virginia Beach For Sale  (Read 1634 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Green Flash Virginia Beach For Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 02:18:29 pm »
10 years ago they were the up and coming brewery on the west coast. Too much expansion and too much dicking with a good thing showed they were too big for their britches.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Green Flash Virginia Beach For Sale
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:53:17 am »
I don't like to hear about breweries closing ever but I also think breweries need to focus being regional. Green Flash was focused on taking local taps and shelf space.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 03:28:33 pm »
I think they just took to long to get going. Groundbreaking was something like 5 years ago, but the brewery has only been operational for about a year IIRC. Had they immediately pulled the trigger when announced they would have had a strong foothold in the market as opposed to being second fiddle by the time they got up and running. I suppose they could have opened a taproom and saturated the market with their beer while working to open the brewery. The proliferation of new breweries has been awesome for consumers, but I'll bet most breweries are scratching their head to figure out exactly where they fit in to some markets.

Also their brewery is not really on the beaten path. Had it been situated in a better location for visitors and locals it would have surely worked out better.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:48:17 pm »
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:55:37 pm by Hokerer »
Joe

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 05:48:12 am »
I think they just took to long to get going. Groundbreaking was something like 5 years ago, but the brewery has only been operational for about a year IIRC. Had they immediately pulled the trigger when announced they would have had a strong foothold in the market as opposed to being second fiddle by the time they got up and running. I suppose they could have opened a taproom and saturated the market with their beer while working to open the brewery. The proliferation of new breweries has been awesome for consumers, but I'll bet most breweries are scratching their head to figure out exactly where they fit in to some markets.

Also their brewery is not really on the beaten path. Had it been situated in a better location for visitors and locals it would have surely worked out better.

Deschutes is doing this in Roanoke.  They won't be brewing in Va for at least another year, but they immediately started distributing in the area, holding tap takeovers and release parties for "East Coast only"
beers etc.  They're trying to make a name for themselves in the area. We'll see how that works out for them.

It seems a lot of the big nationally distributed "regional" breweries are scaling back.   
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 06:15:35 am »
Deschutes also made the price point the same as it is at their other facility. Smart move if you ask me. I have found it on tap all around the valley the last few times I have been through.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 05:49:29 am »
Deschutes also made the price point the same as it is at their other facility. Smart move if you ask me. I have found it on tap all around the valley the last few times I have been through.

Ironically, the new Modern Times in Portland has done the same and some people are up in arms about it.  They have their regular prices (which are standard/low for SoCal), $5 glass (10-12oz), $7 pint.  Portlanders are used to $5 pints, but honestly I don't know how much longer that will last.  Everyone says Modern Times will eventually drop their prices, but honestly I'd expect everyone else to come up to match them.  It's only a matter of time.

I'm not that familiar with what Green Flash was doing. I had completely forgotten they had an East coast facility until someone at a homebrew meeting told me they closed.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year