Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A 30 Year Beer  (Read 6823 times)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Re: A 30 Year Beer
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 04:54:00 pm »
Wow, I am in the middle of renegotiating my mine. It will probably reset the timer to 30 years so
that is a great idea. I wish I had though far enough ahead to do the same. Kinda gives me the
insentive to buy a whiskey barrel from Downslope Distilling in Denver. They are selling 5 gallon
oak barrels that by the time you get it it has had their whiskey in it for 3 months...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 12:46:07 am »
And Drew, if you've never used Tokaji (aka Tokay) yeast, get your hands on some and use it for this project.
Trust me on this...it will be special.

Where can we get some of that?  Any ideas?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 06:40:03 am »
I wonder if I have any homebrews from 1990? 

1990?

I don't even have anything left from June. 8)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 07:52:31 am »
And Drew, if you've never used Tokaji (aka Tokay) yeast, get your hands on some and use it for this project.

Wondering if this could be used as a "substitute"
http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=46
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 11:21:50 am »

Wondering if this could be used as a "substitute"
http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=46

Yeah, I guess you could, but I'd rather get the real yeast.  I read that to mean if you want to make a Tokay style wine, they recommend the Chablis yeast.  To me, that's not quite the same as if you want to use Tokay yeast, use the Chablis yeast instead.  I'd really like to get my hands on the real deal.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 11:51:52 am »

I'm  still using the descendents of  my first purchase of Vierka Tokaji yeast many years ago... I've tried to get a few fresh packets of Vierka (they served up the yeasts on dried grape skins)  but no one seems to carry it anymore (perhaps they've gone out of business).

There is however an outfit in Belgium that sells a dried Tokaji strain, and they do ship overseas...
                                                                           www.brouwland.com

cheers!
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00:50 pm »
I'm  still using the descendents of  my first purchase of Vierka Tokaji yeast many years ago... I've tried to get a few fresh packets of Vierka (they served up the yeasts on dried grape skins)  but no one seems to carry it anymore (perhaps they've gone out of business).

There is however an outfit in Belgium that sells a dried Tokaji strain, and they do ship overseas...
                                                                           www.brouwland.com

cheers!

Yeah, for one sachet plus shipping it will be almost $40.  I'm not sure I want it that badly - 25 euros for shipping on a single pack of yeast?  WTF?  I'm going to try to find a US source, then I'll bank it so I can pull it out whenever I want.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »

Yeah, for one sachet plus shipping it will be almost $40.  I'm not sure I want it that badly - 25 euros for shipping on a single pack of yeast?  WTF?  I'm going to try to find a US source, then I'll bank it so I can pull it out whenever I want.

wow...WTF indeed.  I don't know what changed, but  I sure as hell didn't get that high a quote when I checked into it last year...nowhere near that high.

There must be a domestic source somehwhere.  BEVERAGE PEOPLE used to carry the Vierka brand, but don't seem to any longer.

But you definitely have the right idea...once you find a source you only really need to buy it once.
It would by nice if Wyeast or White could carry this strain.  It shouldn't be that difficult for them to source it, and I think it would be very popular once people try it. 

I think a decent approximation though might be the Chablis strain combined with Sherry Flor, since Tokaji has characteristics at least somewhat evoke both of these.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 04:53:48 pm »

But you definitely have the right idea...once you find a source you only really need to buy it once.
It would by nice if Wyeast or White could carry this strain.  It shouldn't be that difficult for them to source it, and I think it would be very popular once people try it. 

I found out my LHBS carries some of the vierka yeasts, so I've asked if they can get me the Tokay.  But I also read that the importer isn't bringing that one in. I'll see what they say.

I also sent an email to Greg Doss at Wyeast - he told me in the past that they have a LOT of yeasts that they don't release just because it's not economically feasible to keep that many different strains fresh on the shelves.  If they have it banked, maybe I can get a bit from him.  I'll let you know what he says, if they have it and he's up for it I'll be down in his area in 2 weeks and can get it from him then.  If they don't have it I'll bet they would if enough people were clamoring for it.  It's hard to get the momentum though, when there aren't that many people who have tried it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 05:18:41 pm »
I've found a couple of UK sources for Ritchies Tokay yeast.  The price is much more reasonable, only $9 including shipping from the one that will ship to the US.

http://www.arkwrightshomebrew.com/product_info.php/products_id/1096

I haven't ordered yet because I want to see what Doss says, and I'm concerned about the heat the yeast would see in the mail this time of year.  But I might order some from then in a couple of months if I can't get it from Wyeast.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 05:21:49 pm »
I'm going to start a new thread under yeast and fermentation, since this has wandered off topic and someone ignoring this thread might know of a source.

Here it is:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3180

<edited to include link to new topic>
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:31:15 pm by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 01:48:44 pm »
I'll add that, regardless of what you decide to brew, you might want to think about using a wax seal in addition to crown caps.  Unless of course you're going with the cork.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »
I'll add that, regardless of what you decide to brew, you might want to think about using a wax seal in addition to crown caps.  Unless of course you're going with the cork.

Either way...THAT is a great idea.   Especially for those bottles that actually manage to go the distance.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:57:13 pm by The Professor »
AL
New Brunswick, NJ

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 02:24:45 pm »
Most of us from Indiana (and the greater Midwest) would suggest...

Dark Lord clone!

I would go big with it - age half on oak and incorporate bourbon at bottling, age half on vanilla beans.

Or just do two whole batches...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline marty

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 12:50:33 pm »
Yeah, Mr. Smiley and I exchanged a few emails about it. When I went trolling through the internet enabled suppliers on honeylocator they all seemed to be out as well, so.. boo!

great honey crisis of 2010 to replace the great hop crisis of 2007?