Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Split up brew Day...?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
Re: Split up brew Day...?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 03:17:26 pm »
I have a few friends who call the split brew the daddy brew.  They mash when they get home from work Friday night.  After dinner they spare and bring their wort up to near boiling (pasteurizing temperature) for a few minutes.  Let the batch sit over night on the burner with the lid on and then start boiling when you wake up.  It takes some time for the kettle to heat up so breakfast can be made and eaten during the initial warm up. 

Bonus, If anything happens to start growing in the wort you will kill it off in the boil. 
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline bigpete225

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 03:33:11 pm »
I added the cubes in the first couple minutes, but it was mid-160's.  I do have a pack of US-05 that I can try if needed, but I'm interested in what you said about measuring FG.  I am using a refractometer, but this is new to me.  I was NOT aware that they don't work well for FG and perhaps this could explain why I'm seeing this... these are the first two beers I've used it on.  I did calibrate it right before measuring yesterday.  Is there a calculator you recommend?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 03:48:02 pm »
I added the cubes in the first couple minutes, but it was mid-160's.  I do have a pack of US-05 that I can try if needed, but I'm interested in what you said about measuring FG.  I am using a refractometer, but this is new to me.  I was NOT aware that they don't work well for FG and perhaps this could explain why I'm seeing this... these are the first two beers I've used it on.  I did calibrate it right before measuring yesterday.  Is there a calculator you recommend?

Well heck... that ain't a valid reading then!

The calculator I recommend is discussed in GREAT detail here:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=28544.0

And the one that everyone else in the universe recommends, and is easier to use, is here:

http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 11:27:00 pm »
Using your uncorrected numbers you are actually around 1.010-1.012 neighborhood.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:53:05 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 04:46:29 am »
Using your uncorrected numbers you are actually around 1.010-1.012 neighborhood.

Yup.  On my refractometer with correction factor of 0.99, it would be 1.012, with 73% attenuation and 4.4% ABV.  Not too bad.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 07:01:18 am »
Good looking out Dave, that reading sounds much more accurate. I will so though, that you have to be careful with mash temps. Much over 160 for more than a minute or two could really hurt you.

Sounds like you are getting you method down though, that's great! I'm glad it is working for you!

Offline bigpete225

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:20 am »
Thank you again for the advice and steering me in the right direction.  You guys were right on.  I busted out the hydro and got a reading of about 1.012.  Really appreciate the feedback!