Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suddenly cloudy beer  (Read 1005 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Suddenly cloudy beer
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:57:53 pm »
I have noticed I have two kegs (rye IPA and English mild) that have suddenly gone cloudy despite being brilliantly clear earlier.  The mild especially was very clear.  Both kegs are probably 75% empty.  They Taste about the same currently as they did before, the IPA perhaps a little fuller.  Both hold a nice head still.  They have not been moved out of the keezer since initial placement there.  The rye IPA was fined with gelatin, the mild was naturally clear with a high floc yeast.  Any ideas what could be going on?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Suddenly cloudy beer
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 04:49:00 pm »
I would guess contaminated. How long on tap? How long since limes cleaned?

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:02:15 pm »
I try to clean the lines between kegs.  The IPA is 2 months out since brew Day, the mild prob 3 months.  Would you not expect some flavor changes with infection?

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:31:14 pm »
I had a lager last year do that. At first I thought it was a an infection, but the more likely culprit was  oxidation. I’m not sure what happened, but I’ve never had that problem since. BTW they got darker too.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:03:49 pm »
I try to clean the lines between kegs.  The IPA is 2 months out since brew Day, the mild prob 3 months.  Would you not expect some flavor changes with infection?
Usually yes, and maybe it's yet to come