Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shipping issue with NHC Philly  (Read 3565 times)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: Shipping issue with NHC Philly
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 11:27:46 am »
I have an idea. Why doesn’t the AHA use their lobbying money to have the USPS and state regulations modified to allow shipping comp entries? Or work with the major carriers to negotiate a deal and develop sturdy leak resistant packaging. Seems like a better way to go then to continue being dishonest.

Or have lifetime members get their first choice so they don't have to ship to Sacramento   :)
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 11:29:12 am »
I have an idea. Why doesn’t the AHA use their lobbying money to have the USPS and state regulations modified to allow shipping comp entries? Or work with the major carriers to negotiate a deal and develop sturdy leak resistant packaging. Seems like a better way to go then to continue being dishonest.

Or have lifetime members get their first choice so they don't have to ship to Sacramento   :)
That’d work, as long as, you don’t medal and advance to the final round...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 11:30:24 am »
FedEx or UPS account
pre-printed and pre-attached label

at my usual dropoff spot they just smile and say thank you when I drop it on the counter and tell them to have a nice week.  They like that they have to do less work. Occasionally I get a "need a receipt?" so I preface with "I'm all set" at this point.

at an alternate spot across town they like to ask "what are you shipping?"   "Gifts. Thanks, have a good day."

I feel like some people are going in there looking guilty, and it shows.  ;D

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 11:32:37 am »
Shipping alcohol isn’t illegal in all cases, it’s a state by state thing. Shipping USPS is illegal.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 11:34:34 am »
FedEx or UPS account

at my usual dropoff spot they just smile and say thank you when I drop it on the counter and tell them to have a nice week.  They like that they have to do less work.

at an alternate spot across town they like to ask "what are you shipping?"   "Gifts. Thanks, have a good day."

It was pre printed and pre attached. I’ve never had issues shipping bottles before. She said it just started this week, so past shipping successes don’t really matter.

I’m sure it wasn’t that I looked guilty, she said this to me before I said a word to her.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
Shipping issue with NHC Philly
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 11:48:18 am »
Shipping alcohol isn’t illegal in all cases, it’s a state by state thing. Shipping USPS is illegal.

Yeah, wrong verbiage. Not illegal, but they won’t ship it. Ups’s alcohol (wine) policy is that you have be licensed and ship to a licensed recipient.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/wine.page

The AHA could use the registration system to provide shipping “exemptions” or whatever that you print out with your labels. To satisfy the licensure thing.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:52:48 am by hackrsackr »

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 11:59:31 am »
FedEx or UPS account

at my usual dropoff spot they just smile and say thank you when I drop it on the counter and tell them to have a nice week.  They like that they have to do less work.

It was pre printed and pre attached. I’ve never had issues shipping bottles before. She said it just started this week, so past shipping successes don’t really matter.

I’m sure it wasn’t that I looked guilty, she said this to me before I said a word to her.

sry, I gave my usual response to this oft-repeated question not looking at your "new this week" post that seems to indicate it would be different this time...
I'm about to go pick up some alcohol being held for me at FedEx, so I'll ask if they have a new policy.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 12:04:35 pm »
FedEx or UPS account

sry, I gave my usual response to this oft-repeated question not looking at your "new this week" post that seems to indicate it would be different this time...
I'm about to go pick up some alcohol being held for me at FedEx, so I'll ask if they have a new policy.

I knew I didn’t look guilty. This says it’s a temporary and indefinite security measure.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/shipping-companies-up-security-after-package-bombings/1074288488

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 12:16:14 pm »

Yeah, wrong verbiage. Not illegal, but they won’t ship it. Ups’s alcohol (wine) policy is that you have be licensed and ship to a licensed recipient.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/wine.page

The AHA could use the registration system to provide shipping “exemptions” or whatever that you print out with your labels. To satisfy the licensure thing.

Even then crossing state lines can be illegal.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 12:30:32 pm »

Even then crossing state lines can be illegal.

Maybe there is no simple fix, but as we’ve both stated, the answer lies in lobbying.

So we’d need a solution to appease the shippers policies, and to find a solution to exempt our entries from the laws in the illegal to ship alcohol states.

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 12:47:47 pm »
FedEx or UPS account

Fwiw, I dropped my sealed, pre-labeled box off at FedEx yesterday and it was delivered to Austin today. No unusual questions or changes in policy from them.

I did find this statement from UPS in a news article related to the Austin bombings. Looks like the unsealed package thing only applies to customers who bring in a box to ship and have no prior UPS history or account.

"UPS utilizes a variety of security procedures. In light of the uncertainty surrounding the Austin bombings, the company implemented a temporary process for unknown shippers with unlabeled packages who wished to send a parcel at a UPS Store, company counter or other authorized service location. Packages of known shippers are not being opened. The temporary screening process requires unknown customers to tender their package open, or voluntarily open their package for visual inspection..."
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 01:00:01 pm »
Man, I must have run into an over zealous ups employee... I used my account to print the label. The box was un-labeled except for fragile and this end up.

If I have entries make it to the final round, I think I’ll just schedule a pick up from my house and be done with it.

This should definitely be addressed though, especially the legal aspect. Relying on dishonesty and possible illegal actions is a sh!t way to have to enter a competition run by a lobbying body that you have to be a member of to enter. I can’t think of anything that I’d rather have the dollars I give to the AHA go toward.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 06:07:07 am »
And so the hammer falls.... My local UPS hub is now checking ALL boxes... Indefinitely. Hopefully FedEx will not adopt this policy, but I feel the writing is on the wall. I am currently researching as to whether or not you have to be a licensed dealer to ship with FedEx. According to what I've read so far it seems you only have to fill out a form and mark the Box. Definitely have to be licensed through UPS. One interesting loophole though, it can be shipped by anyone who is licensed and there are typically a lot of local breweries and bottle shops who may be willing to ship on their account. Research ensues.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 06:36:33 am »
If, big if, there was no way to ship homebrew, it would be tough on clubs who sponsor big competitions. But good for little local ones.

I just thought I'd point that out because I'm such a big fan of Capt Obvious
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:41:27 am by klickitat jim »

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 06:41:10 am »
Very true. What we need is for a club as an entity to be able to secure a "license" of sorts to ship beverage. Unfortunately legislation would be necessary and I wonder if there's enough political clout in the brewing community to get it done. I wonder if smaller companies such as DHL are easier to deal with ?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Corripe Cervisiam