Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Missed Mash out Temp  (Read 7247 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Missed Mash out Temp
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:25:40 pm »
If I am batch sparging and miss 170* as my mash out temp and for my second run, what kind of damage did I do?  I added 170* water for my second run and the temp only settled in at 162*, I got lazy and went ahead and ran it.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Missed Mash out Temp
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:45:14 pm »
Did you hit your gravity?  That's all you need to worry about.  You can supplement in the boil with extract or some other sugar if you're too low.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:18:42 am »
No damage. Some brewers skip mash-out when batch sparging so that any last little bits of conversion take place, even after the wort is drained.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:42:24 am »
No damage at all.  Mashout just isn't that critical.
Joe

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:03:22 am »
The beer is destroyed, possibly toxic,  you MUST send it to me for proper disposal. 

Obviously I'm kidding.  Sounds like a normal brew to me.

I'm one of those who normally skip the mashout.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:21:57 am »
Not hitting 170 for mash out is not critical AT ALL.

Essentially, heating to 170 does two things.  One, denatures Enzymes. Two, thins the mash (kind of like heating honey or syrup).

Since you mashed to full conversion, there were no more sugars for the enzymes to work on any way, and as for the slightly thicker consistency of the wort... so you leave behind a tiny percentage of sugars, or sparging takes an extra 30 seconds...  At the 5 gal level, the benefits of mashing out at 170 are negligible. 

In fact, I usually do not mash out.  When everything is converted, I drain the wort or sparge.  I do not want to risk getting above 170, where some noticeable tannin extraction becomes possible, and besides, it shaves 20 minutes off of my brewday.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:48:38 am »
Not hitting 170 for mash out is not critical AT ALL.

Essentially, heating to 170 does two things.  One, denatures Enzymes. Two, thins the mash (kind of like heating honey or syrup).

Since you mashed to full conversion, there were no more sugars for the enzymes to work on any way, and as for the slightly thicker consistency of the wort... so you leave behind a tiny percentage of sugars, or sparging takes an extra 30 seconds...  At the 5 gal level, the benefits of mashing out at 170 are negligible. 

In fact, I usually do not mash out.  When everything is converted, I drain the wort or sparge.  I do not want to risk getting above 170, where some noticeable tannin extraction becomes possible, and besides, it shaves 20 minutes off of my brewday.

Continued mashing will continue to breakdown long-chain "converted" sugars or dextrines into small chain simple or fermentable sugars until the enzymes are denatured (in the kettle without a mash-out step.) This is something I take advantage of for achieving high attenuation in my big beers.  I'll mash for two hours + at times for this reason.  For your beers not a big deal, but the enzymes are still doing there thing after the 15-20 minutes it takes to "convert" the starches to sugars.

Fred
Fred Bonjour

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:52:16 am »

pH is much more of a factor than temperature.  If your pH is in line, you can boil the grains with no ill effects...hence, decoctions!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline freddy2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:14:23 pm »
I've always mashed long and I've never checked ph.
Beer, it does a body good.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:27:16 pm »
I've always mashed long and I've never checked ph.
Denny was talking about pH and temperature - you can boil grains and not get tannin extraction as long as your pH is in the normal mash range.  If it is higher, like towards the end of sparging, then you can get tannin extraction above 170F or even lower.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:41:43 pm »
Don't worry about it as long as you are batch sparging, as you should be.

Mash out will be in the boil kettle 8)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 05:36:56 am »
Continued mashing will continue to breakdown long-chain "converted" sugars or dextrines into small chain simple or fermentable sugars until the enzymes are denatured (in the kettle without a mash-out step.) This is something I take advantage of for achieving high attenuation in my big beers.  I'll mash for two hours + at times for this reason.  For your beers not a big deal, but the enzymes are still doing there thing after the 15-20 minutes it takes to "convert" the starches to sugars.

Fred

For years I've mashed 60-75 minutes for all of my beers. I have noticed some of the bigger ones tend to be a little sweeter than I'd like. Is there a formula or graph you use to determine mash time vs. OG/ attenuation ratio?
Just brew it...

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 06:33:22 am »
Are they sweeter than you like or are you not getting the attenuation you expect?

You could be getting expected attenuation but just not like the level of sugar that represents in a big beer.  If you start big, you finish big.  That's why you don't make a tripel like you make a barleywine.  You can get the same ABV but if you want to control the sweetness, start smaller and/or use sugar.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 07:35:25 am »
Good point . . I'm getting the expected attenuation, just some residual sweetness that I'd like to be more muted.
Just brew it...

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 07:39:32 am »
Gordon makes some good points, I get 5-8 points additional attenuation from the longer mash on my system.  Nothing like a Strong Scotch Ale mashed at 148F for 2.5 hours.

Fred
Fred Bonjour