Author Topic: Grain Mill in Garage  (Read 3377 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Grain Mill in Garage
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 02:09:54 pm »
Put two traps in the garage.  Nothing yet.  Maybe that’s a good sign as no other signs of droppings. 

My mill is mounted to a cart and motorized, otherwise it would be in a tote as suggested.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 02:47:13 pm »
If you have a cat around as you mentioned, even occasionally, that may well take care of the problem.   I've got personal experience, as do others I know, that any cat, even an old, blind lame cat, on premises will do.  The varmints somehow sense it, and don't take chances. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 04:18:26 pm »
My mill is motorized and mounted on a cart as well. I sweep it off well (including the rollers) after each use with a clean paint brush and wipe the cart and all exterior surfaces with a slightly damp paper towel to minimize the dust.  Milling is done outside most of the year unless raining or snowing.  I also use a vacuum cleaner on it outside when I see residue on the underside of the mill....I condition my Grain before milling, too...just the way I roll and YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 09:41:36 am »
The deer mouse is common throughout North America and around 30% of them are infected with the hantavirus. The only real risk is to yourself when dust is getting kicked up from the mill and breathing it in otherwise the virus dies during the brewing process.

Milling outside is your best bet and the odds of actually getting sick are extremely extremely remote but it is a scary disease.

I'm from the 4 corners area and was a young teenager during the outbreak down there in the 90's the scary thing was is that when people got sick a lot of them didn't recover and officials didn't initially know how it was being spread or what kind of virus it was at that point.

See attached pdf file that explains more about the hantavirus.

Brew on!

Edit: I just realized this is an old thread that was resurrected from the dead lol.

Link to PDF Download
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 10:56:49 am by Big_Eight »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 09:43:20 am »
i think people have covered it mostly, but re: any pest. IMHO - clean up the food source 100% and they will disappear. theyre not going to hang around if theres no food for them to eat.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 10:13:13 am »
If you have a cat around as you mentioned, even occasionally, that may well take care of the problem.   I've got personal experience, as do others I know, that any cat, even an old, blind lame cat, on premises will do.  The varmints somehow sense it, and don't take chances.

We have 5 cats.  They catch many varmints, but I still have mice in my garage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2021, 05:07:16 pm »
Resurrection of this old thread seems like a good time to tell my tail of mice (since I just drew a pint of IPA from the keezer...)

I've been brewing since 1990, and have always owned cats. For 29 years, I never had an issue with mice. The current two cats, however, are abject failures as mousers.

We began to notice mouse droppings in 2019 around the house. We set out a couple of traps, baited with peanut butter, and caught a couple. I thought the problem was solved.

When we moved into our current home in 2012, what formerly was the inhouse single car garage became my brewing room, with another part of it becoming the shop. Since it once was a garage, it was poorly insulated, so we had our contractors install fiberglass insulation that was secured by wire netting (looks like chicken fencing). The former garage has this weird side room that I used to store sacks of malt.

One day I went into the shop to get something....and noticed malted barley on the concrete floor. Now how did that get there? I looked around...and finally noticed kernals of malt in ceiling, below the fiberglass insulation.

We cut away the chicken wire and started poking the insulation with a broom handle....when suddenly it gave way and about 20-30 lbs. of malted barley came pouring out of the ceiling! Evidently mice had been covertly taking malt from 3 of my sacks, and transporting it for storage above the insulation in the ceiling.

What a mess. I cleaned it up and started setting traps with renewed determination. I fed our chickens all of the mouse-contaminated malt. But what chickens like better than malt....is when you throw them a freshly caught mouse out of a trap. Tiny dinosaurs.

Fall is approaching, the time of year when mice move indoors and i need to start the whole trapping process again. Meanwhile, our two cats are getting fatter on Fancy Feast and Whisker Lickin's.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2021, 05:46:49 pm »
Those of you who have rodent issues in your garages or attics or wherever, what you need are snakes, not cats. (I get that this will not be a popular suggestion.) Get one or two of the larger colubrid snakes (gopher, king, rat) and set them loose in your space. You will never see or hear them, guaranteed, and they will solve your rodent problem very quickly. If you can't get such snakes at your local pet store, you can order them online (seriously). Snakes are stealthy and effective rodent-killing machines, way more so than cats.

Definitely a good idea to deny rodents a food resource to any extent possible. But once they have arrived for the food, they will stay for the warm, safe nesting space in the attic or wall, even if the easy food is taken away. Only a snake can get to these spaces.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2021, 06:50:03 pm »
Those of you who have rodent issues in your garages or attics or wherever, what you need are snakes, not cats. (I get that this will not be a popular suggestion.) Get one or two of the larger colubrid snakes (gopher, king, rat) and set them loose in your space. You will never see or hear them, guaranteed, and they will solve your rodent problem very quickly. If you can't get such snakes at your local pet store, you can order them online (seriously). Snakes are stealthy and effective rodent-killing machines, way more so than cats.

Definitely a good idea to deny rodents a food resource to any extent possible. But once they have arrived for the food, they will stay for the warm, safe nesting space in the attic or wall, even if the easy food is taken away. Only a snake can get to these spaces.

And then once the snakes eat the mice you burn your garage down to get rid of the snakes.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2021, 07:31:49 pm »

And then once the snakes eat the mice you burn your garage down to get rid of the snakes.

LOL, yeah that's about the response I expected. I'm sure there will be more. I've been a herpetologist my whole life. I don't share the irrational fear of snakes that most people have. I'm too, well, rational.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2021, 04:54:55 am »
We finally got rid of rodents in our house a few years ago. We had flying squirrels in our attic but really mice were the problem. The solution turned out to be using poison to get rid of the mice in the house and having a professional exterminator seal up the house. They went around and used a special caulk to seal up any possible entry points and used wire screen in some areas, including the ridge vent on the roof that had been chewed through. We recently replaced our roof and had them use a metal ridge vent so it can’t get chewed through again.
I didn’t like the idea of using poison but it’s really the only way to completely eliminate mice. It’s been five or six years with no mice.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2021, 11:56:47 am »

My neighbor cleared some woods near the back of our property recently and ever since the rodents from the woods have taken residence under our chicken run. I had toyed with the idea of adopting a barn cat, but the more I think of it, a corn snake is probably a better option. My only concern is that the size I see at pet stores is more likely to be preyed on by my birds rather than praying on a rat.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2021, 05:38:38 am »
Good suggestion on the plastic tote to store the grain mill.  I'll buy one too.  I mill my grain on the driveway in front of the house the evening before I brew.  Then the next day, brew and transfer the wort to the fermenter on the patio in back of the house.  I often wear the same clothing for both milling and brewing, but so far haven't had any contamination issues.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2021, 10:14:13 am »
I mill in my driveway and when done take a leaf blower to it followed by a damp paper towel.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2021, 02:11:27 pm »
Maybe get a plastic tub and put it in there to seal it off from the bugs and varmints.