Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Searching For Best Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe! (All Grain Please)  (Read 12973 times)

Offline jamesbishop9

• 1st Kit
BYO's seems solid, though it claims a 60 minute boil in the itemized hop additions and a 90 minute boil in the walk-through; Not sure which time duration to pursue..
https://byo.com/recipe/sierra-nevada-pale-ale-clone-2/

Sierra Nevada's website has a similar problem, though the reverse. As well as they recently converted to solely Cascade for the hop additions..
https://sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/pale-ale

Ozark's seems great, though he/she separates the Magnum@ 60 and Perle@ 30, rather than combing them at the beginning as BYO does. Wondering of the difference. Suppose I could brew them both and see for my self, though if anyone has tried either, it would save me a lot of time..
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/28546/sierra-nevada-pale-ale-clone

Then there is Hoptomology's. Also looks good.
http://www.hoptomology.com/2011/12/12/brewing-a-sierra-nevada-pale-ale/

There is a link to a "dead ringer" that doesn't work any longer, if anyone knows it or of one please let me know.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/c/beer-recipe-exchange?bb=1

Thoughts?

Thanks to all,

-James

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Searching For Best Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe! (All Grain Please)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 04:12:43 pm »
I would use the recipe from the Sierra Nevada website. Just move the 90 minute hop addition to 60 and it to the 60 minute amount. The difference in bitterness between 90 and 60 is minuscule.

Good luck.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:20:49 pm »
Not clone, but close enough
1.050ish
93% American pale malt
7% American C40
Mash about 155F

35ish IBU Chonook at 60min
5g per gallon Cascade at flame out
5g per gallon Centennial at flame out

1056 at 65F

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 04:48:13 am »
SNPA is a great beer to try to clone (inspired by) because it pretty much IS the guide post for the style. I chased it for quite a while and got pretty close. Then I decided to tweak it to what I like, my own spin. My house pale ale, which is probably an IPA, started very SNPA ish. Now days I use Munich instead of Crystal. It's bigger, 6-6.5%. And more tipped toward hop flavor than malt. My base version is Chinook bittered, then a healthy dose of cascade and centennial in whirlpool. To change it up I sub other American hops in the whirlpool. Today I brewed a base version, and one with equal piles of Simcoe, Vic Secret and Mosaic.

Have fun! Don't let yourself get frustrated or burned out. And allow yourself to change it up.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 05:02:13 am »
I think I got the following recipe from BYO magazine in 2008.  I haven't brewed it but I tasted a friend's clone and scored it 43 per BJCP guidelines at the time.

One thing I do know is that they definitely use whole hop cones, not pellets.  Don't know about boil time.

Also mentioned for the recipe below is that they did NOT dry hop, at least not in 2008.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone
6.5 gallons

OG=1.053
FG=1.011
ABV=5.6%
IBU=32
SRM=7

11.5 lb Pale Malt (2-Row)
1 lb Crystal 60
0.5 oz Magnum (13.6% alpha, 60 min)
0.5 oz Perle (7.7% alpha, 30 min)
1 oz Cascade (5.8% alpha, 10 min)
2 oz Cascade (5.8% alpha, flameout)
US-05

Mash at 153 F for 1 hour.  Ferment 7 days at 68 F.  Dry hop IF desired, but Sierra Nevada doesn't.  Carbonate as normal.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

Searching For Best Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe! (All Grain Please)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 05:23:00 am »
92% Pale 2 Row
8% C60

Cascade Hops

Chico Yeast

https://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/pale-ale
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:59:58 pm by BrewBama »

Offline jamesbishop9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 12:09:48 am »
Zymurgy Magazine (July 2003, July 2004) has a couple for SNPA - same malts (93% Pale, 7% crystal ); perle and cascade hops at various times (including dry hop).

If the dead "dead ringer" link is an attempt at a Two Hearted clone, Zymurgy back issues also have a couple of recipe variations.

Does the "dead ringer" link take you to a recipe?? It doesn't work for me.

Offline jamesbishop9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 12:25:17 am »
I think I got the following recipe from BYO magazine in 2008.  I haven't brewed it but I tasted a friend's clone and scored it 43 per BJCP guidelines at the time.

One thing I do know is that they definitely use whole hop cones, not pellets.  Don't know about boil time.

Also mentioned for the recipe below is that they did NOT dry hop, at least not in 2008.

6.5 gallons

OG=1.053
FG=1.011
ABV=5.6%
IBU=32
SRM=7

1 lb Crystal 60
US-05

Mash at 153 F for 1 hour.  Ferment 7 days at 68 F.  Dry hop IF desired, but Sierra Nevada doesn't.  Carbonate as normal.

Awesome, thank you. Definitely affirmed this will be the recipe to use. Liking the idea of separating Perle to the half mark, rather than combining with Magnum at the beginning. Hoping for more Perle flavor than just its bitterness.

Thank you to all who've responded. Will have much fun experimenting with this recipe in the future.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:29:38 am by jamesbishop9 »

Offline jamesbishop9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 11:14:06 pm »
SNPA is a great beer to try to clone (inspired by) because it pretty much IS the guide post for the style. I chased it for quite a while and got pretty close. Then I decided to tweak it to what I like, my own spin. My house pale ale, which is probably an IPA, started very SNPA ish. Now days I use Munich instead of Crystal. It's bigger, 6-6.5%. And more tipped toward hop flavor than malt. My base version is Chinook bittered, then a healthy dose of cascade and centennial in whirlpool. To change it up I sub other American hops in the whirlpool. Today I brewed a base version, and one with equal piles of Simcoe, Vic Secret and Mosaic.

Have fun! Don't let yourself get frustrated or burned out. And allow yourself to change it up.

Klickitat Jim, would love the recipe of your house pale if you wouldn't mind sharing. A more bitter pale, like you said, "closer to an IPA" is becoming my personal preference. Munich malt sounds tasty

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 06:33:21 am »
Northern Brewers Dead Ringer is a Two Hearted Ale clone.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 11:01:40 pm »

6.5 gallons

OG=1.053
FG=1.011
ABV=5.6%
IBU=32
SRM=7

1 lb Crystal 60
US-05

Awesome, thank you. Definitely affirmed this will be the recipe to use. Liking the idea of separating Perle to the half mark, rather than combining with Magnum at the beginning. Hoping for more Perle flavor than just its bitterness.

Thank you to all who've responded. Will have much fun experimenting with this recipe in the future.

Cheers!

That looks very close (maybe identical?) to Beerfan's SNPA recipe from many years past on the NB forum.  I've brewed it several times, and it gets very close to SNPA (and might actually be better).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 07:25:43 pm »

Klickitat Jim, would love the recipe of your house pale if you wouldn't mind sharing. A more bitter pale, like you said, "closer to an IPA" is becoming my personal preference. Munich malt sounds tasty
Out of town for the week. If you don't hear back on this by next week, remind me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 07:40:59 pm »

Got into my recipe software (didn't think I'd remember my password)

70% Simpson's Golden Promise
30% Best Malz Light Munich
1.060 target OG

Water is 50ppm Ca, 20ppm CaCl, 70ppm CaSO4

These hops are by grams for 6 gal batch (I doubt IBU calcs)

30g Chinook at 60
30g each of Chinook, Cascade, and Centenial at 170F whirlpool for 30 min.
You can sub any high oil American you want here. I like 30g each of Simcoe, Vic Secret, and Mosaic as a modern twist to my old school Chin/Casc/Cent.

I usually ferment with 1056, but lately I'm digging 1450. 65F till 50% ADF, then free rise to 70F ambient.

I don't bother with dry hopping. But YMMV

Have fun

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:42:32 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline jamesbishop9

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 03:06:49 pm »

1.060 target OG

30g Chinook at 60
You can sub any high oil American you want here. I like 30g each of Simcoe, Vic Secret, and Mosaic as a modern twist to my old school Chin/Casc/Cent.

I usually ferment with 1056, but lately I'm digging 1450. 65F till 50% ADF, then free rise to 70F ambient.

Have fun

Jim, thank you! Cannot wait to brew this

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 06:38:26 pm »

1.060 target OG

30g Chinook at 60

Have fun

Jim, thank you! Cannot wait to brew this
Pretty simple. Let me know how it goes