Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottling barleywine  (Read 6498 times)

Offline blackmore9

• 1st Kit
Re: bottling barleywine
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 04:27:39 pm »
Thanks for the help. I will keg and then bottle from keg as recommended. the readings are correct, 1.18 OG and 1.042 FG as recorded by my hydrometer. I don't own a blichman, but I have bottled before without one for a  8) 8)contest by just letting the beer flow into the bottles with a very low pressure. Do ya think that would work ???

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 05:06:56 pm »
Consider a picnic tap with tubing stuffed in it to fill from the bottom of the bottle.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »
Thanks for the help. I will keg and then bottle from keg as recommended. the readings are correct, 1.18 OG and 1.042 FG as recorded by my hydrometer. I don't own a blichman, but I have bottled before without one for a  8) 8)contest by just letting the beer flow into the bottles with a very low pressure. Do ya think that would work ???
Well, my apologies. That's quite some barleywine. What was the recipe?
Brew on

Offline joeysmokedporter

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 05:00:15 am »
also have problems bottle-conditioning big beers but my problems with consistency tend to start w/ OGs around 1090.  I do re-yeast upon bottling as well.  I'm switching to force carb for big beers.

I do wonder why the Belgian commercial brewers are more successful with this--maybe they are able to keep the bottle-conditioning beer warmer?
R. Lorber
Westminster, MD