Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Preparing to bottle first sour  (Read 1077 times)

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
Preparing to bottle first sour
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:12:41 am »
I have a sour that’s been in secondary 5 months. My last two SG readings have both been 1.006, two months apart. Is that enough time with a steady gravity to bottle? I’ll take at least one more reading to make sure it doesn’t drop more.

I was thinking of reyeasting with a bit of t-58. Is this necessary if secondary time is only 5-6 months? 

And lastly, do I need more priming sugar than normal?

Thanks

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Preparing to bottle first sour
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 05:03:13 pm »
I have a sour that’s been in secondary 5 months. My last two SG readings have both been 1.006, two months apart. Is that enough time with a steady gravity to bottle? I’ll take at least one more reading to make sure it doesn’t drop more.

I was thinking of reyeasting with a bit of t-58. Is this necessary if secondary time is only 5-6 months? 

Thanks

I don’t think you need to reyeast (but I’m not expert).  A normal amount of priming sugar should be fine, but if you want a higher carbed sour go for it. I typically like my sours higher volumes of carbonation.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline austin6455

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 02:11:02 am »

Thanks
I would think if your gravity has been consistent at 1.006 for that long you should be okay to bottle. What kind of yeast/bacteria did you use to ferment?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 07:21:09 am »
Thanks for the insights.

I did a white labs pitch of brett c along with a few different bottle dregs. Without my notes handy I think it was Jolly Pumpkin, Orval, and an all brett Bruery.