Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ESB recipe  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: ESB recipe
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 10:06:17 am »
The Sept-Oct 2008 has an article by John Keeling, Head brewer at Fullers, on how to brew Fullers ESB.
Malt is 95% pale, 5% crystal with a touch of chocolate for color.
Hops are target in the boil for bittering, Northdown and Challenger as late boil, Golding and Target in the fermenter (!), and Goldings as dry hops. No amounts given.
Water is Burtonized.

Hope that helps.
I have read that Fullers has evolved over the years,  the hops in fermentation and cask being added as tastes have changed!  I remember it being quite malt focused on cask in the 80s.  Cloying almost.

It bears remembering that this started as a Winter warmer in the late 60s, rebranded with the name "ESB" when it was added to the year round lineup.  Fullers switched from cones to all pellets in 1970, the year before ESB went year round; that may have begun a shift in character, though not as much as the later changes in hopping.

Elsewhere the recipe has been given as 90% pale, 3% crystal and 7% flaked maize.  No doubt the grist has evolved too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:28:29 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 10:28:45 am »
The Sept-Oct 2008 has an article by John Keeling, Head brewer at Fullers, on how to brew Fullers ESB.
Hops are target in the boil for bittering, Northdown and Challenger as late boil, Golding and Target in the fermenter (!), and Goldings as dry hops. No amounts given.
Water is Burtonized.

Hope that helps.
I have read that Fullers has evolved over the years,  the hops in fermentation and cask being added as tastes have changed!  I remember it being quite malt focused on cask in the 80s.  Cloying almost.

It bears remembering that this started as a Winter warmer in the late 60s, rebranded with the name "ESB" when it was added to the year round lineup. 

Elsewhere the recipe has been given as 90% pale, 3% crystal and 7% flaked maize.  No doubt the grist has evolved too.
Fullers stopped using flaked maize some years ago. There were some reports of that, but I can’t remember when.

When touring the brewery the guide said that Chiswick got 2 oz. of dry hops per firkin, Pride none, and ESB got 3 oz per firkin.

The brewing equipment has changed, from a double drop to unitanks, and the brewhouse is a modern all stainless computer controlled unit.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 10:35:52 am »
Right, I don't recall when they abandoned dropping, but the switch to conicals may have dried out the character a bit.  The question becomes, what iteration of whose beer is your model -- or, better, what do you want _your_ beer to be like?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 01:52:11 pm »
Water is Burtonized.

Hope that helps.

I have a good nod to FESB using what Jeff referenced as a guide a home, except sans chocolate.  I'll try to remember to post it later on.  I like how it turns out.

I just made it again a few weeks ago except with 1450 just cause.  I imagine I will like that better because I prefer American amber to English bitter, but obviously its not traditional.

I used to make one, based on a much older interview with Keeling, using the maize.  Can't say I can tell the difference in either, but then again I never made them both together to judge.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 02:07:36 pm »
I've been trying to find a English Bitter recipe off and on for a while. One i can call my own, sort of. My next brew day I'm giving it one more go. This time I'm trying APA methods with English ingredients.
93% Simpson Golden Promise
7% Tom Faucet C45
30g Target at 60
20g Challenger 20g Styrian Golding at 170F whirlpool
Wy1469 at 65F for days then 68F
No dry hops
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:10:29 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 03:06:17 pm »
Looked at Fullers site today, looks like they still use something like what Jeff cites.  Also noted that John Keeling has been succeded as head brewer by Georgina Young.   New, young (pun unavoidable) brewer, new tweaks to come?

(Keeling is apparently now a roaming brand ambassador.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:09:15 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 03:21:57 pm »
Thank you for all the help and suggestions! Im going to give it a shot and see what I end up with!

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 03:37:31 pm »
Thank you for all the help and suggestions! Im going to give it a shot and see what I end up with!
Be sure to post your recipe and report on the result!  Happy brewing.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 03:39:56 pm »
There's an interesting couple podcasts if you're up for it. Brew Strong September 2017 Questions with Fullers 1 and 2. It's been a while since I've listened but I recall the Fullers brewer saying that they dry hop with Target. There's a ton of Fullers info in there

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 04:37:36 pm »

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 12:15:59 am »
90-100% British-type pale malt
0-10% Crystal malt
0-5% sugar
0-10% wheat (flaked, torrified, or malted)

bitter with whatever to 30-40 IBUs
.5-1 oz British or noble-tyoe hops per 5 gal at 30-10 mins
0-1 oz British or noble-tyoe hops per 5 gal at flameout/whirlpool
0-2 oz British or noble-tyoe hops per 5 gal dry

10 lbs Golden Promise
12 oz Crystal 60L
.5 lbs torrified wheat

1 oz Bravo 60 mins for ~30 ibus
.5 oz Goldings at 10 mins
.5 oz Crystal whirlpool
.5 oz crystal dry

WLP002 or S-04 (fermented COLD)