Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping Bud Light to test hops.  (Read 2332 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Dry hopping Bud Light to test hops.
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:15:12 am »
 I’ve heard about making hop teas before but stumbled across an online thing (berths) about putting hops into Bud Light so decided to try it.   I put 1.5 g of a couple hops never tried (equanot and loral) but wanted to brew with to room temperature Bud Light bottles and recapped them.  48 hours at room temperature, then in the fridge for a day. I also did Citra and Mosaic because I know what they taste like as controls.  Then last night I tasted them and compare to The online profile.  Wow what a great way to evaluate hops. Realized I really don’t like Loral, so I’m going to change the recipe.  Citra tasted like Citra and Mosaic tasted like Mosaic.   I really liked Equanot.
 I will definitely be using this as a tool prior to Brewing new recipes.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Dry hopping Bud Light to test hops.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 10:18:14 am »
I’ve always wanted to do that. 
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:19 am »
I have done this before although I used Coors Light. Def a great way to sense aroma. It 's a weird sensation too because its all aroma, you really don't get any flavor. (Try plugging your nose)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 11:01:23 am »
 I feel like I got a lot of flavor out of it.  For instance the Loral had almost no aroma but had the most taste next to Citra.  IMHO.   It also made Bud Light drinkable.  :)
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 11:13:37 am »
I did the same with Coors Light using EKG, Fuggles, Willamette because I had never used any of them alone, and Cluster, Motueka, and Sorachi Ace because I wanted to use them and never had.  I am now terrified of Sorachi Ace.  So much dill.  Makes me re-evaluate my plans to brew an homage to Sapporo.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:34:53 pm »
Works great
AHA Member 900001775

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 02:28:54 pm »
Interesting. I wondered if you’d report back on flat beer. After 3 days a growler fill just isn’t all that anymore.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 03:01:19 pm »
 When I’ve been doing this, the beer is not flat. After I add the hop pellets I just twist the cap back on and it actually kept its carbonation great for three days.