Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: biofine  (Read 1171 times)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
biofine
« on: March 31, 2018, 08:09:32 am »
Has any one used biofine? I thinking about trying it. My idea is to transfer the beer into the secondary for 2 weeks then cold crash it for about 4 days. When I cold crash I was thinking about adding the Biofine at that time then i will keg it after the 4 days. Is this a good way to do it or no? Also how much biofine do you use for 5 gallons? The 2 beers i will do this with are a ESB and a Cream Ale.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: biofine
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 11:25:02 am »
Which Biofine, A3 silicic acid (aka Clear,) or P019 isinglass?  Both have been discussed on the forum.  Try a search.  With any fining, if you want to precipitate chill haze you need enough cold time to form it before adding finings.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 01:27:49 pm »
I guess i didn't know there was different biofines... I just want really clear bight beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 02:08:28 pm »
I have used the Biofine A3 (Biofine clear) many, many times with brilliant results. I can't remember how much but maybe 2-4 ml? I'd have to check the package. Anyway, the key is to add it when cold (under 38) and make sure it is mixed well. So best bet is to add it in the keg, purge head space well and give a good shake. I have seen it drop perfectly clear in 24 hours.

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 02:49:48 pm »
Awesome thank you majorvices! I will give that a shot!