Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Future of beer -- good read  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Future of beer -- good read
« on: March 30, 2018, 12:59:58 pm »
April Smithsonian magazine, in "hacking the future" issue, has an article on the future of beer.  Can't post a link, I read it in the print magazine.  (Print? Hey, it is published by a museum...)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Future of beer -- good read
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:51:02 pm »
They already have Papazians spoon, I'm assuming they unveiled the Hombrewer section of the head museum?

Starting from the bottom right I think it goes Papazian, Denny Conn, Jimmy Carter...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-to-make-beer-in-space-180968404/

Any chance it's related to this article? Kind of an interesting read, I've never really thought about the true ramifications of beer in space. I thought it was weird that hops grew well in Martian soil and potatoes didn't.

I enjoyed this article on breweries becoming "3rd spaces", which sounds super awesome. I kind of imagine thats where things are going to have to go-with 6300 breweries in the US, it's going to be tough to get distribution.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/are-craft-breweries-next-coffeehouses-180964739/

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 04:26:04 pm »
They already have Papazians spoon, I'm assuming they unveiled the Hombrewer section of the head museum?

Starting from the bottom right I think it goes Papazian, Denny Conn, Jimmy Carter...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-to-make-beer-in-space-180968404/

Any chance it's related to this article? Kind of an interesting read, I've never really thought about the true ramifications of beer in space. I thought it was weird that hops grew well in Martian soil and potatoes didn't.

I enjoyed this article on breweries becoming "3rd spaces", which sounds super awesome. I kind of imagine thats where things are going to have to go-with 6300 breweries in the US, it's going to be tough to get distribution.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/are-craft-breweries-next-coffeehouses-180964739/

Yep, your first link is the one I read! Thanks for sharing it. Different title though:  in the print mag the title is "Buzzed Lightyear!"  Now I have to read the other article.  Always good stuff in Smithsonian.  I'm still receiving my late father's copies in the mail.  Gotta go online when that runs out.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 05:56:22 pm »
We get Smithsonian too. Great, pretty long and substantial articles, great to read in the tub at night.
I get freaked out though that a magazine I enjoy is full of advertising geared to the 80+ crowd.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 06:32:09 pm »
Wilbur, enjoyed the "third space" article.  I've seen taps not only become the center of a neighborhood, but a building:  seems every old warehouse converted to lofts needs a gym and a nano!  But it belies what I found most interesting (not necessarily in a good way) in the first  article (not beer in space.)

Seems people want variety and new experiences in their 3rd space.  But robot brewers (Picobrew Z meets data mining!) are supposed to tweak recipes based your response to what you've already had.   No room for innovation or accidental discovery of something you never imagined.  No imagination.   Pretty bleak future.  Like Amazon can tell me I'll like a book based on what I've already read.  But in a real bookstore I see something completely random, and no algorithm would know I might like it. Plug it into the the database, sure.  But the algorithm will never understand the unforseeable flash that takes you somewhere new. Don't want my beer made that way, or my life.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 08:23:15 am »
Counterpoint: AI beats human in Go.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/03/17/google-defeating-go-champion-shows-ai-can-find-solutions-humans-dont-see/

The AI created solutions in Go outside any convention of normal play. The human learned a new way of looking at the game. I think there could be an opportunity there.