Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wild hops  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
Wild hops
« on: April 01, 2018, 10:01:54 am »
Hey all!

I just bought some hops rhyzomes from a local farmer (Salt Lake Valley, UT).  I bought a couple of Cascade and a wild hop he found and has been reproducing.  He's named it Harvard, after the street he found it on.  He says he thinks is Centennial, but doesn't know for sure, is there a good way to find out more about it?  Should I just experiment with it or is there a lab I can send it to?  I'm excited to brew with it this fall.  He said it grows REALLY good here under natural conditions (no watering or soil treatment), which seems so odd to me considering I live in a desert.  Anyway, thanks for your input as always.
Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Wild hops
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:19:13 am »
Growing and brewing with it will be the easiest test. Centennial is not too hard to distinguish. As it starts to grow you can also compare pictures of the plants. Some hop plants have distinguishing features.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 12:25:09 pm »
The only certain way to know would be a DNA test.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 12:27:08 pm »
Growing and brewing with it will be the easiest test. Centennial is not too hard to distinguish. As it starts to grow you can also compare pictures of the plants. Some hop plants have distinguishing features.

Since hops are very terrior dependent, even if it was Centennial it might have none of the character usually associated with Centennial. I just returned from New Zealand, where they grow Cascade from rhizomes from the US.  It's so entirely different from our Cascade that they had to give it another name.  You would never recognize it as Cascade.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:35:56 am »

Since hops are very terrior dependent, even if it was Centennial it might have none of the character usually associated with Centennial. I just returned from New Zealand, where they grow Cascade from rhizomes from the US.  It's so entirely different from our Cascade that they had to give it another name.  You would never recognize it as Cascade.
To reinforce that, during the hop shortage of 2008, Argentinian Cascades were found to be available and breweries and homebrewers found them. The general comment was that they were not like Cascade hops from the PNW, but were more herbal and noble hop like.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:35:30 pm »

Can you describe them?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 10:35:53 am »
Can you describe them?

I haven't tried them personally, but I understand they are much more herbal than the same rhizomes grown here.  They call them "Tehiki" (sp.?) so as not to mislead people.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 01:48:02 pm »

isnt  madarina bavaria just cascade grown in germany?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 01:56:26 pm »

Cascade was one part, at least.  I don't know if they crossed it with anything else.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 02:16:37 pm »

That would be Hallertau Cascade, which is grown and used in the German Craft PA and IPAs. The first link has a nice article by Stan Hieronymus, showing how Cascade changes as to location.

Mandarina Bavaria was developed by the Hüll Hop Research Institute, Cascade was the Mother. More information in the second link.

http://appellationbeer.com/blog/cascade-a-study-in-hop-terroir/

https://www.hopsteiner.com/variety-data-sheets/Mandarina-Bavaria/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!