Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what category of beer does this fall into  (Read 2872 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: what category of beer does this fall into
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 11:53:13 am »
Sometimes recipe will make it pretty obvious what style it is. But the very best way to determine which style to enter in a competition,  or just when handing it to a beer snob..  Is to poor a sample and compare what you see, smell, and taste, to the style guidelines. Some styles are (controversial) very similar to others. For example, in the glass, a certain pale ale might actually line up better to IPA guidelines. Or a beer with some vegetable in the recipe might not be present in the glass. There are numerous examples where a slight bump can move a beer from one style to another.

That’s what I meant!  It seems like it would be a stout, based on grain build and the hop additions. But there are unknowns. At least on my end.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 11:59:53 am »
My suggestion is Category 16 B - Oatmeal stout.  You did not use coffee, so the only coffee comes from roast malt, which the style guidelines suggest is allowed to be expressed.  Your call, of course, but SHV is usually suggestive of the addition of spice, herb or vegetable, which would be the case if you cold steeped coffee with your roast grains.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 02:21:34 pm »
I'm leaning toward English Porter.

I don't think 1/2 lb of oats is going to provide enough of a silky mouthfeel to make it hold up in a flight against other Oatmeal Stouts with more oats in them.  The black malt leans more coffee like, when I'd be looking for some roasty notes that roasted barley adds, not BP malt.

I also think its a bit too big for an Irish Stout, and a lb of crystal 80 is going to make it too sweet/caramelly for that style.

English Porter -- it has the black malt, chocolate and crystal that should fit that profile well.  The oats will add some smoothness but not too much. Hops are right. To me, this is the place I'd imagine a beer brewed using that recipe would fit.

my .02
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge