Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adjusting hop alpha acids  (Read 4628 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Adjusting hop alpha acids
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 04:44:45 am »
Dave, two things:

(1) I don't think you _can_ really ignore beta.  It oxidizes to soluble form at essentially the same rate that alpha is lost, so it offsets alpha loss to a significant degree.  (This explains how landrace varieties were selected: they exhibit near 1:1 alpha:beta and so had _apparently_ better storage stability.)

(2) Why are we still awake and on this forum, man?

Yup and yup, I agree and I agree.

The IBU totally ignores alpha, so why shouldn't we.

I was up till 11pm and now here I am up for work at 5:44am.  Icky.  But at least I don't have to work tomorrow.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 06:05:15 am »
I've always read (someone confirm or correct this?) that we humans just can't distinguish a difference of +/- 5 IBU.  Therefore,  the upshot of this should be, keep your hops in the freezer, and for years you can just act like the alpha on the label is real. Tell Beersmith to RDWHAHB.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 06:55:50 am »
I've always read (someone confirm or correct this?) that we humans just can't distinguish a difference of +/- 5 IBU.  Therefore,  the upshot of this should be, keep your hops in the freezer, and for years you can just act like the alpha on the label is real. Tell Beersmith to RDWHAHB.

I've heard the detectability notches are anywhere from 2-5 IBUs apart.  Personally I believe the notches spread every 3 IBUs... but I haven't done lab analysis or blind tastings to prove this either.  Numbers like 2-3 IBUs have been thrown around in more recent years.  4-5 IBUs are the "older" numbers, if that means anything (heh... thinking back on homebrewers in 1993!).

But you're right.  A loss of a fraction of a percent of alpha over a year or two is not going to make a huge difference, assuming we store the hops cold and well sealed.  Conversely, if not stored well, then all bets are off.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 07:11:24 am »
As to that last point, everything starts with buying from a source whose handling and storage you can trust, or all bets are off before we even get started.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 10:19:28 am »
HSI is never listed on packages for homebrewers.   IBU is a mythical WAG unless you have a professional lab and a large number of trials to calibrate your system. Then it's almost SWAG.  Go on experience, and adjust recipe based on evidence from your taste buds.

Actually, YCH lists it on their packaging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 11:23:06 am »
HSI is never listed on packages for homebrewers.   IBU is a mythical WAG unless you have a professional lab and a large number of trials to calibrate your system. Then it's almost SWAG.  Go on experience, and adjust recipe based on evidence from your taste buds.

Haven't spotted it on the packaging at LHBS before,  I'll keep an eye out.  But I usually just order from a trusted source (they would count) and assume no rough treatment has occurred and the alpha listed is close enough.

Welcome back, Denny!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 12:23:45 pm »

Haven't spotted it on the packaging at LHBS before,  I'll keep an eye out.  But I usually just order from a trusted source (they would count) and assume no rough treatment has occurred and the alpha listed is close enough.

Welcome back, Denny!

Well, damn, now neither am I!  I know it was on there at one point.  I'll have to ask them about it.

Thanks for the welcome back.  New Zealand was awesome beyond words.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell