Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling a Dark Strong  (Read 1900 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Bottling a Dark Strong
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:36:30 pm »
It's been quite a while since I bottle conditioned any beer, but I'm about to bottle up 10 gallons of a Dark Strong in 750 ml corked and caged bottles.  My question whether or not this beer will still have enough yeast to carbonate the beer.  Should I add fresh yeast before bottling?  It's about 10% ABV and has been in the fermenter about 4 weeks (I've been busy).

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Bottling a Dark Strong
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 05:54:58 pm »
Plenty of yeast.  No worries.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:18:49 pm »
It's been quite a while since I bottle conditioned any beer, but I'm about to bottle up 10 gallons of a Dark Strong in 750 ml corked and caged bottles.  My question whether or not this beer will still have enough yeast to carbonate the beer.  Should I add fresh yeast before bottling?  It's about 10% ABV and has been in the fermenter about 4 weeks (I've been busy).

It won’t hurt to crash the beer and add 1M/ml cells at bottling. The beer will carbonate faster. This is something I have done quite often with great results. This is also a thread that will draw differing opinions. I’m of the “don’t call your benchwarmers to finish in the clutch” crowd.

Adding yeast at bottling offers a grester degree of control and consistency to carbonation on big beers in particular. YMMV but I think it’s an excellent idea.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:20:43 pm by Big Monk »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 05:02:38 am »

It won’t hurt to crash the beer and add 1M/ml cells at bottling. The beer will carbonate faster. This is something I have done quite often with great results. This is also a thread that will draw differing opinions. I’m of the “don’t call your benchwarmers to finish in the clutch” crowd.

Adding yeast at bottling offers a grester degree of control and consistency to carbonation on big beers in particular. YMMV but I think it’s an excellent idea.

I agree with Big Monk.  While it might not be absolutely necessary to re-pitch some fresh yeast, doing so cannot hurt.  I have a recipe for a tripel where I crash the beer for 30 days after fermentation is complete, rack to my bottling bubbler, then pitch fresh yeast for bottle conditioning.  Works great and no worries about off flavors from old yeast.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:59:05 pm »
Just wanted to check my math...so 1M cells / ml...for 10 gallons this means about 37.85B cells.  If I used US-05, I would only need about 2 grams of yeast.  Seem right? 

My plan is to put boiled (once cooled) priming sugar in two kegs, add yeast, and rack on top.  Then fill bottles from beer gun. 

Any other with my math and/or my process?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 03:43:45 pm »
I agree with Big Monk.  While it might not be absolutely necessary to re-pitch some fresh yeast, doing so cannot hurt.  I have a recipe for a tripel where I crash the beer for 30 days after fermentation is complete, rack to my bottling bubbler, then pitch fresh yeast for bottle conditioning.  Works great and no worries about off flavors from old yeast.

I have no doubt that it works great, but the scientist in me wonders what it would be like if you didn't do that.  Have you done it without repitching so you know exactly what effect the added yeast has?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 05:53:33 pm »

I have no doubt that it works great, but the scientist in me wonders what it would be like if you didn't do that.  Have you done it without repitching so you know exactly what effect the added yeast has?

When you break it down, it’s a consistency thing. For sure the yeast in suspension will do, but how long and how consistent is up for debate and testing. My experience has shown me that when either bottling with fresh yeast, or bottling with remaining extract, I get faster, more consistent carbonation.

That’s not to say that either way is better or worse. It’s all down to what you want to get out of it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 06:20:00 pm »
Just wanted to check my math...so 1M cells / ml...for 10 gallons this means about 37.85B cells.  If I used US-05, I would only need about 2 grams of yeast.  Seem right? 

My plan is to put boiled (once cooled) priming sugar in two kegs, add yeast, and rack on top.  Then fill bottles from beer gun. 

1M cells per ml per °P... your math is right if your wort has 1°P.

Big Monk

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 06:57:49 pm »

1M cells per ml per °P... your math is right if your wort has 1°P.

Not really Jim. Depending on the style, you can use anywhere between 100k-1M per ml. No °P in this application.

EDIT: Sorry! Math was good. I read it wrong! The math above is incorrect, however. Let’s run through it:

10 gal = 37.9 l = 37,900 ml

Using 1M/ml -> 37,900 ml * 1000000 cells/ml = 37.9B cells

Now let’s try 100k/ml:

37,900 ml * 100,000 cells/ml = 3.79B cells
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:03:11 pm by Big Monk »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 07:38:26 pm »
Cool. I've always heard the yeast counters use X million cells per ml per °P. I know that X can be variable.

Oh duh! Talking about how much bottling yeast. Disregard, I'm a bone head
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:44:46 pm by klickitat jim »