Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nitro / beer gas + canister questions  (Read 1245 times)

Offline tfrommer

• 1st Kit
Nitro / beer gas + canister questions
« on: April 02, 2018, 10:42:40 am »
<I cross-posted this on the Home Brew Talk forums so apologies if it's a dupe for you.>

An online discussion kicked up over the weekend among some guys in my homebrew club. Myself and one other recently acquired or were gifted nitrogen canisters and / or a nitrogen regulator to serve our English ales and stouts. Our local welding supply company -- where we all get our CO2 canisters swapped -- has 75/25 beer gas but only in CO2 canisters. We may be about to set up a pop-up eBay shop to unload our brand-new items, but I digress.

• Is that typical (vs having beer gas mix in nitro cylinders?) or just a quirk of our local shop?
  • A side conversation popped up about 100% nitro. One person who owns a homebrew supply shop says he stocks 100% nitro but only folks using it for cold brew coffee buy it from him. Why wouldn't you use 100% nitro for beer?
Tim F.
Seattle
Cascade Brewers Guild

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Nitro / beer gas + canister questions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 11:14:36 am »
You don’t use 100% nitro because it doesn’t dissolve easily in beer, still need some co2. The coffee people don’t want co2.

I wouldn’t say it is typical for a standard co2 cylinder to be used, but I’ve heard it in other places as well.

Offline Robert

Re: Nitro / beer gas + canister questions
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 11:39:19 am »
Because nitro doesn't dissolve well, mixed gas (nitro and CO2) is also used in long-run draught systems in order to get the required dispense pressure without extra CO2 pressure, which over time would dissolve and overcarbonate the beer.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:54:08 pm »
Often times on the above mentioned long run draught systems, 2 cylinders are used: 1 Co2 and one Nitro. The system uses a down stream mixer to mix the 2 at desired proportions. This is what we always used in the restaurants and bars I worked at in the past
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 05:44:09 pm »
Often times on the above mentioned long run draught systems, 2 cylinders are used: 1 Co2 and one Nitro. The system uses a down stream mixer to mix the 2 at desired proportions. This is what we always used in the restaurants and bars I worked at in the past
Or a nitrogen generator is installed to eliminate the need for nitrogen bottles.

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 07:36:32 pm »
See if your gas supplier carries, or can get you, a converter for your nitro regulators.  there is a product that allows you to use a c02 regulator with a converter that can attach to a nitro /beer gas tank.  They may have the same thing for nitro to C02
Fermentation at Elevation