Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Water Filtration  (Read 2527 times)

Offline lominatrix

• 1st Kit
Brewing Water Filtration
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:23:01 pm »
I'm sure it's been addressed before, but when I search I'm getting all types of discussions that just mention filtration of any kind.  I'm hoping I can get some input on what some of you guys with "city water" problems do for water besides buying bulk quantities of RO or filtered water.

My previous residence had great well water with a good profile, so I never encountered any problems.  I'm now on city water, and due to the nature of my job will continue to move around the country, so should probably get something figured out, because this Chlorine is affecting the flavor of my beers.  I'm looking at what I should do to set up a filter for brewing water.  I'm not opposed to getting an RO system, but am concerned about flow.  I have never known anyone who had RO set up, and what I've been reading seems to indicate the filtration process can slow down flow considerably.  Are you RO users filling containers prior to brew day to have water on hand, or is it possible to get good flow out of an RO system, and I'm just imagining problems that don't exist? 

Also, if you are filtering in another way, or not using RO but getting good results getting Chlorine out, please let me know what options I have.  I need an education!

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Brewing Water Filtration
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 10:23:37 pm »
Do you use Camden tablets? Those remove chlorine and chloramines.

My RO system is rated at 100 Gallons per day, so I fill a lot of 5 gallon jugs when i am using it.

If you drink coffee, better water will make better coffee, I use RO for coffee now.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 10:51:38 pm »
Do you use Camden tablets? Those remove chlorine and chloramines.

My RO system is rated at 100 Gallons per day, so I fill a lot of 5 gallon jugs when i am using it.

If you drink coffee, better water will make better coffee, I use RO for coffee now.

Wow.  what RO system do you have?  I wish mine could pump that out.  I go down to the water store down the street and pay a whopping 25 cents a gallon.  my cheapest ingredient is water.

You can read my post on this page. I gave up on my city water. It is horrible.  campden tablets did not do it.  I just went to RO and started from scratch using AJ Delange's water primer.
I'm sure it's been addressed before, but when I search I'm getting all types of discussions that just mention filtration of any kind.  I'm hoping I can get some input on what some of you guys with "city water" problems do for water besides buying bulk quantities of RO or filtered water.

My previous residence had great well water with a good profile, so I never encountered any problems.  I'm now on city water, and due to the nature of my job will continue to move around the country, so should probably get something figured out, because this Chlorine is affecting the flavor of my beers.  I'm looking at what I should do to set up a filter for brewing water.  I'm not opposed to getting an RO system, but am concerned about flow.  I have never known anyone who had RO set up, and what I've been reading seems to indicate the filtration process can slow down flow considerably.  Are you RO users filling containers prior to brew day to have water on hand, or is it possible to get good flow out of an RO system, and I'm just imagining problems that don't exist? 

Also, if you are filtering in another way, or not using RO but getting good results getting Chlorine out, please let me know what options I have.  I need an education!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 06:05:03 am »
I carbon filter my water for drinking and cooking (some minerals are good for coffee and baking, Jeff!) and used to use this for brewing, it removes chlorine (but as noted not chloramine, which fortunately my city does not use at this time.)

I have switched to RO for brewing (found the mineral profile of city water problematic, apart from chlorine) and I fill containers ahead of time.  I use this freestanding unit which runs a gallon in just under 20 minutes. (The speed and rejection efficiency of the membrane are increased with higher pressure differential between input and output, so it helps to not have a bladder tank like under-sink units.)

APEC Portable Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System, Installation-Free, fits most STANDARD FAUCET (RO-CTOP) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IB14XDU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:19:54 am »
Search for “Airwaterice”, soymateofeo.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 08:53:07 am »

The guys look good!  I just checked my own link and I see the price has gone up a fair bit since I bought it last year!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 11:09:57 am »
I fill my hot liquor tanks with cold city water the night before to let the chlorine dissipate and heat the water uncovered with no problems.  The chlorine level in my city water seems fairly low.

If your city uses chloramine then you you can't rely on dissipation.  You will have to filter or use metabisulfite or campden tablets to react out the chloramine.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 11:24:12 am »
I carbon filter my water for drinking and cooking (some minerals are good for coffee and baking, Jeff!) and used to use this for brewing, it removes chlorine (but as noted not chloramine, which fortunately my city does not use at this time.)

I have switched to RO for brewing (found the mineral profile of city water problematic, apart from chlorine) and I fill containers ahead of time.  I use this freestanding unit which runs a gallon in just under 20 minutes. (The speed and rejection efficiency of the membrane are increased with higher pressure differential between input and output, so it helps to not have a bladder tank like under-sink units.)

APEC Portable Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System, Installation-Free, fits most STANDARD FAUCET (RO-CTOP) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IB14XDU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

My tap water has a high level of bicarbonate, so RO got rid of the chalky taste. That was a big improvement. I did some searches and found a recommendation to try 0.75 grams Epsom, and 0.25 grams of baking soda per gallon of RO. I will try that sometime later. Thanks for the advice, will try and make even better coffee.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline cmb4642

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 03:28:19 pm »
I have miserable water and was tired of lugging water, first world problems. I bought this and a TDS meter. I make my brewing water a few days ahead and add salts back. I have been very happy, makes about 4 gallons per hour. I typically do this while preparing my yeast starter. This is also great because I can now make up a gallon of RO water and use it for star-San. Will also make extra to rinse off equipment and glass for a nice spot free rinse.

0PPM Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Filtration POQ-4B-100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBOXLQC?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God invented to MLT/BK to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 05:45:28 pm »

The guys look good!  I just checked my own link and I see the price has gone up a fair bit since I bought it last year!

Checked my records, price hasn't gone up, I paid more than I remembered.  Still worth the price.

And another point, if you buy an RO unit be sure to buy a TDS meter. They are only about $15, and will let you see how completely you are deionizing your water.  When the TDS starts to rise, time for a new membrane; also, if you are getting super low TDS you can treat it like distilled water in your software, if it's higher, assume your software's default RO profile is close.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:55:41 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline lominatrix

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 11:17:14 pm »
Thanks all for the input.  Looks like this guy is just going to have to learn to have some patience and plan ahead better to prepare for brew day!!