Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tippy Dump  (Read 1742 times)

Offline bnloewen

• 1st Kit
Tippy Dump
« on: March 18, 2018, 09:40:12 am »
Hi. It has been years since I have posted here or in its predecessor.

I have a three vessel converted keg all grain system, home made, very crude and caveman-ish, but it works and fits in my basement.  I use it to make 12-15 gallon batches.

I have constructed a large shop and the brewery is moving out of the basement to the shop, with unlimited space and height.  Now is my chance to expand the brewery.

I have questionable well water supply so I use a water still. I recently bought a 220V still for the shop with a hundred gallon storage tank.  Enough water for four kegs at a go, 60 gallon batches.

I have a large industrial gas fired tankless water heater that I hope to use for heating sparge water, so no more separate water tank.

Yesterday, I came across a scream of a deal. I found a pristine stainless steel 125 gallon upright milk tank for sale, for $250 Canadian OBO.  I bought it on the spot, loaded it in my truck, and brought it home.

My intention is to use this for a mash tun.

The tank weighs around 150#.  Four kegs of grain could add another 100# or more, and the left over moisture after sparging, maybe another 100# or more, brings the thing to around 400 to 500#.

How do I get it emptied and cleaned?  I need some sort of a tippy dump.  Does anyone have links or photos for a project like this, a tippy dump for a 125 gallon mash tun?  Or maybe someone has some other ideas?

FYI, the tank is 38" in diameter, and sits up on legs that makes it 78" tall.  Piping (1-1/2") comes out of the centre of the bottom of the tank, which will work perfect for a false bottom, but limits the height that I can shorten the legs by to maybe 12".

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Barry

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:45:51 am by bnloewen »

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Tippy Dump
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 11:30:06 am »
Any thought about a giant BIAB bag with a crane? A small engine lift or a pulley can pull the grain out, maybe weld a large butterfly valve on the bottom so you can wash it out. There's an article in the latest BYO on a large scale BIAB setup.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 07:05:47 am »
At that size maybe a manway should be considered.  Shovel that mash out like a pro.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:24:14 pm »
If your shop has big door, why not use a tractor with a forklift attachment?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:51:47 pm »
Here's something like what I'm taking about...

https://www.cobrewingsystems.com/collections/complete-brewing-systems

I'd love to see some pics of whatever you end up doing.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:33:18 pm »
At that size maybe a manway should be considered.  Shovel that mash out like a pro.
Are you suggesting a catwalk? In that case, you should look into training a brewmonkey as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk