Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: APA malt bill advice  (Read 4408 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
APA malt bill advice
« on: April 03, 2018, 01:34:56 pm »
 I’m trying to write recipe for an APA as follows:   OG ~ 1.050, IBU~45-50,  using equanot and mandarina bavaria mostly late/whirlpool.   Since those two hops are tropical, I want the malt bill not too sweet or complex.  I want it hop forward so the malt doesn’t detract from the hop taste.   I was thinking like something as follows for the malt....

95% 2 row
2.5%  Carmel 40
2.5%  Cara-pils

Can anyone give an opinion on an APA Malt bill that they’ve done or had that they recommend for something like this?
Thanks.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: APA malt bill advice
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 02:04:29 pm »
Ask yourself why the carapils is on there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 02:14:30 pm »

You're funny.   ;D

Carapils is pretty worthless IMO.  It doesn't do what people think it does.  It's essentially equivalent to base malt.

Maybe add 2.5% biscuit or Victory malt instead.  That would be tasty.

You could even bump up the Crystal to 8% or something like that, and it wouldn't be overly sweet.

It will be delicious no matter what you do to it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 02:19:24 pm »

You're funny.   ;D

Carapils is pretty worthless IMO.  It doesn't do what people think it does.  It's essentially equivalent to base malt.

You could even bump up the Crystal to 8% or something like that, and it wouldn't be overly sweet.

I don't think it's worthless.  I think you have to have a reason for any ingredient you use and there may not be a reason for it here.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:46 pm »
I know there is a big carapils debate, but I’ve made my blonde with and without it and like it better with.
Thanks for the advice, prob add some victory.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:21:34 am »

You're funny.   ;D

I don't think it's worthless.  I think you have to have a reason for any ingredient you use and there may not be a reason for it here.

I wonder what reason would be for its use?  Based on a lot of discussion and perhaps data points (I don't recall), there is a position that it is actually foam negative, which is different than a base malt, I would think...I don't want to imply that this is based on rigorous testing, but it is out there. (I have a few pounds of Carafoam laying around that have gone unused for a while based on the negative foam concerns).  I would be interested in the experience of others and the benefits, if any, that have been noticed.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 11:23:03 am »
I wonder what reason would be for its use?  Based on a lot of discussion and perhaps data points (I don't recall), there is a position that it is actually foam negative, which is different than a base malt, I would think...I don't want to imply that this is based on rigorous testing, but it is out there. (I have a few pounds of Carafoam laying around that have gone unused for a while based on the negative foam concerns).  I would be interested in the experience of others and the benefits, if any, that have been noticed.

I don't think it's any more foam positive than any other malt. I use it for subtle color and flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 01:14:13 pm »
I do find it detrimental to foam and mouthfeel, but I do also find it gives a subtle, hard to describe (nutty?) flavor that can be distinguished from base malts.  I'm just not a big fan.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 01:24:28 pm »
My favorite is around 93% 2-row and 7% C-60.  To me, it tastes pretty close to SNPA, which is my favorite commercial APA. 

I've played around with lighter crystal malt, wheat, no crystal malt (just base and lightly toasted), and the above is what I keep coming back to.

That's just my personal preference though.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 01:34:17 pm »
I do find it detrimental to foam and mouthfeel, but I do also find it gives a subtle, hard to describe (nutty?) flavor that can be distinguished from base malts.  I'm just not a big fan.

Maybe my usage is below that threshold, or maybe I can't tell the difference, but I don't find small amounts detrimental.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 02:05:02 pm »

Maybe my usage is below that threshold, or maybe I can't tell the difference, but I don't find small amounts detrimental.
True, effects of everything depend on the amount.  I would keep it to a couple percent or so. But a flavor as subtle as carapils, in even larger amounts, probably wouldn't be distinguishable in the OP's APA (which may have been what you were getting at?)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 02:06:51 pm »
True, effects of everything depend on the amount.  I would keep it to a couple percent or so. But a flavor as subtle as carapils, in even larger amounts, probably wouldn't be distinguishable in the OP's APA (which may have been what you were getting at?)

Yeah, in my own obtuse way.  I'd either get it up to 5% or lose it, myself.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 02:36:17 pm »

Yeah, in my own obtuse way.  I'd either get it up to 5% or lose it, myself.

Or maybe try 50%.

http://scottjanish.com/dextrins-and-mouthfeel/
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 06:33:24 pm »
Crap, I didn’t mean for this to turn into a carapils debate.  Just wanted to see what people like for an APA malt bill.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 07:19:28 pm »
Crap, I didn’t mean for this to turn into a carapils debate.  Just wanted to see what people like for an APA malt bill.

Apologies.  Keep it simple.  APA is a simple beer.  I like American pale malt and a bit o' crystal, hops of your choice... and that's what you've got.  So brew it, and enjoy it.
Dave