Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: APA malt bill advice  (Read 4456 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: APA malt bill advice
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 08:02:34 pm »
That’s on me.  Sorry.  Listen to Dave and Denny.  If you like a beer that is hop forward, Brew with the hops suggested.  You will make a drinkable beer that meets or possibly exceeeds you expectations.  I should not have derailed this thread- my bad.  We all gave up more or less on the light crystals a while back, but that is another debate entirely.  Cheers dude, make that beer and enjoy!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 11:52:41 am »
favorite is around 93% 2-row and 7% C-60.To me, it tastes pretty close to SNPA, which is my favorite commercial APA. 

I've played around with lighter crystal malt, wheat, no crystal malt (just base and lightly toasted), and the above is what I keep coming back to.

That's just my personal preference though.

I agree. I eschewed 60 for the longest time, but I am now finding that its what I've been missing all along.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 01:23:38 pm »
favorite is around 93% 2-row and 7% C-60.To me, it tastes pretty close to SNPA, which is my favorite commercial APA. 

I've played around with lighter crystal malt, wheat, no crystal malt (just base and lightly toasted), and the above is what I keep coming back to.

That's just my personal preference though.

I agree. I eschewed 60 for the longest time, but I am now finding that its what I've been missing all along.

If I recall correctly, it's basically the recipe that Beerfan posted on the NB forum many years ago in the SNPA Cloning Made Simple thread.  Ironically, it eventually grew into a massive 20 page beast.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 09:53:08 pm »
I usually use 40 but I’m going to try 60. Thanks
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 05:25:16 am »
I use 95% base malt and 5% of either munich or victory.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 08:30:01 am »
Sierra Nevada stocks one Crystal malt in the production brewery, C-60. Which C-60 it is I can’t remember.

They have a homebrew recipe in their webpage, scroll down. When I toured the brewery in NC, they were using Bravo for the bittering addition.

92% 2 Row, 8% C-60.
https://sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/pale-ale
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:11:32 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline vpsihop1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 12:01:22 am »
APA is a simple brew, bit think of a nice ESB. Alot of malt character. 2 row and C60 is fine, but think about adding something for complexity as others mentioned, Victory, biscuit, etc. How about some crystal that you haven't used before? I'm not saying go crazy, 3 grains max

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 08:08:32 pm »
I dumped Carapils from all of my recipes 5 or 6 years ago. I don't have any quantitative data on the before/after event, but my considered opinion is that carapils had no effect on my brew.

I'm sort of a medieval brewer. I brew in much the same way that they did in the 1600s (but with stainless steel vessels, and natural gas heat. lol).

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 01:34:08 pm »
I dumped Carapils from all of my recipes 5 or 6 years ago. I don't have any quantitative data on the before/after event, but my considered opinion is that carapils had no effect on my brew.

I'm sort of a medieval brewer. I brew in much the same way that they did in the 1600s (but with stainless steel vessels, and natural gas heat. lol).

Charlie

It's all just marketing.  Carapils, Carafoam, Maltodextrin, etc...

An experiment would have to be conducted to determine how much of each is needed in order to be effective (or make a noticeable difference).  Ever wonder why those Coppers kits come with maltodextrin?...

As far as APA goes your recipe is fine.